Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JW008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
How are most people tagging? Just first names? First and last names? I'm going to start the process tonight and I was wondering the reasonings behind people's decision.

bstamant

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2007
solution?

I have been putting first names only. I noticed if you hover over a person's face in the "Faces" corkboard screen, there is a "i" in the bottom right hand corner of the snapshot. If you click that "i" it gives you an option to put the full name of the person and their email address. After doing this, when I sync to Facebook the tagging works.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I'm a little disappointed there's no address book integration here. I'd like names and email addresses to come from there (maybe with an autocomplete thing like tagging non-detected faces has). I don't like searching for people and copying their email addresses.

Names can also be a problem, especially when you have people named Taqiuddine and surnames like Goonewardena.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
How are most people tagging? Just first names? First and last names? I'm going to start the process tonight and I was wondering the reasonings behind people's decision.

I use first and last names just because that's what I do. I had a pet peeve with my cell phones that couldn't order my damn contacts by last name but show them by first name. Well, same bloody problem here. I hope Apple fixes this with some minor update. I also like the suggestion about integrating with Address Book. I just really can't believe we don't have some sort of last name, first name deal going on.

JW008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
I started tagging last night and realized, it really won't be that big of a deal to change back and forth between first/last names if I want. Of course, I haven't been tagging EVERYONE, which means after about three hours of tagging I only have about 30 people.

Where's the cutoff for people that you're tagging? Everyone you know? Just friends? Only people you've got more than five pictures of?

macaco74

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2008
I started with family, friends, and then the every so oftens. Of course, when I open a picture and tag someone new, I end up going on a tangent.

It is fun but I second and third the desire for address book integration.

Question, as I have not tried this yet, if I change a tag name from John to John Smith, will that cascade to all other tagged photos of John? Or just assume I incorrectly tagged John Smith?

Thanks,
Scott

JW008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
For those of you using just first names, how do you label different people with the same name? Does full name at the corkboard level take care of this differentiation?

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
For those of you using just first names, how do you label different people with the same name? Does full name at the corkboard level take care of this differentiation?

Good question. I haven't ran into the same first name problem yet but I would probably label them Steve P. and Steve J. to avoid confusion. :eek:

ETA: I just tried to see if you could have multiple Jeffs with the full name entry taking place at the corkboard level. You can't. The names have to be different in some way for them not to be grouped together as the same person.

OMGWTFBBQ

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
I have been putting first names only. I noticed if you hover over a person's face in the "Faces" corkboard screen, there is a "i" in the bottom right hand corner of the snapshot. If you click that "i" it gives you an option to put the full name of the person and their email address. After doing this, when I sync to Facebook the tagging works.

Thank you soooooooooooo much for this tip!

chrisandersen

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2008
I'm using first names only and am impressed so far with the software. I think it is very cool on how it thinks that sometimes the child and parent are the same person. Is there a link on how this technology works?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.