How are you using your Home Network?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by currins, Jan 4, 2011.

1. currins macrumors member

I received my new 15" MBP last night and quickly set up a network between my 08 iMac and the new MBP. Nothing fancy - Verizon FIOS router with Airport Express connected by ethernet cable - AE set up in Bridge mode, and both computers connected to the AE wireless network.

Still pretty amazing to a first-time home networker. I shared my entire iMac iphoto library and itunes library and was able to view, play, and import on the MBP.

I shared some files from the iMac and that worked like a champ on the MBP.

I was even more amazed with the Back to my Mac feature. Instantly able to get screen access and file access. Pretty amazing how easy it was. I had set up a Epson wireless printer on the iMac. Simply hit + on the MBP, selected the Epson, and printed wirelessly seconds later. I would still be flailing with my Windows machine.

But I'm curious, what else is out there? How does everyone use their home network? Anything to share that I'm missing? Any capability I need to start taking advantage of?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

My home network network at home consists of an OS X Server and about 15 client devices (tv, game console, my machine, other machines, iphones etc). Airport extreme serves as primary gateway with a another switch thrown in, all cat6 cabling including sb6120 cable modem (which is gigE). AEx set to 802.11n 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz variants only. Legacy clients can use the neighbors wifi or something.

OS X server handles Open Directory, DNS, RADIUS (Wireless authentication w/ user account rather than static WPA2 key), VPN, Backup @ archive for itself as well as all network clients, Media Server, Netboot Server, virtual machines and encryption.

I'm not really sure how to answer your question though. I guess I use my network for evil??? :D

And yes bonjour (which helps your macs find each other) is very nice, but windows 7 is making strides in this area as well. Their new 'homegroup' thing makes it a breeze for novices.

3. currins thread starter macrumors member

I understand about half of that :) Impressive set-up!

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Um I have lets see my MacBook, my iPad, xbox360, desktop, 3 other laptops, and various other devices I can't think of it at the moment. Besides wireless routers deliver superior range.