How attractive is a 2015 rMBP now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by urbanlegend179, Oct 27, 2016.

1. urbanlegend179 macrumors newbie

I think I'll go for last years' model. Anyone else thinking of doing the same?

2. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Ah yes, that's the Mac for the discriminating gentleman. Magsafe, proper USB ports, a tolerable keyboard and adequate general spec - get one while you can.

3. indognito macrumors newbie

After looking at the prices for each of the models I went to the refurb section of the website . . . So yea.

4. Barrierfreeman macrumors regular

Barrierfreeman

I have last years model, and kinda glad I do.

Ok, the display needs to be replaced again, but at least I can trip over the power chord with confidence.

5. jwpoof macrumors member

I'm seriously thinking about it. At the right price, it's a more sensible option for me.

6. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

It really depends on what your priorities are. Do you want a machine that will be supported for a longer period of time? Or do you want the big savings now? The 2015 13" MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage is currently $1,399 (from what I can see in the refurbished section based on savings of 15% for a final price of $1,189), while the new MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM and 256GB storage is $1,799. That's a $400 increase, and what does it get you? You get a thinner and lighter machine, a newer CPU, faster RAM, updated Intel graphics, a larger trackpad, brighter display, TouchID, OLED Touch Bar, and new USB-C ports.

I think the value proposition of the new MacBook Pro is pretty good, and about equal to that of the previous generation, given that they did not announce a price drop for the outgoing models.

7. urbanlegend179 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think at this point, for me it's all about what it DOESN'T get for you: magsafe, proper USB ports, a proper keyboard?

Also, isn't the display on last years' model one of the best in the market?

I've never been one to care about money tbh, but I refuse to be sheep blindly getting the new shiny toy no matter what. Judging from the reaction on this forum, the new models simply aren't worth it. Am I wrong?

8. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

I had a 2012 15" rMBP (launch model). Then about 2 months before my 3 year AppleCare ran out (Dec 2015) Apple replaced it for free with a 2015 model due to repeated repairs on the 2012 model. So now I'm thinking about about just buying AppleCare for the 2015 model instead of selling it and upgrading.

9. trims macrumors regular

Last years model just increased in price by 20% on UK web site.

10. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

i agree 100%

11. urbanlegend179 thread starter macrumors newbie

How much was it before the 20% increase? I am on about the 13 inch model.

I hope to find a reseller that hasn't increased the pricing yet!