How authentic...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ParishYoung, Jul 19, 2008.

1. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

http://www.plemix.com/phone-apple-iphone3g-phone

Can anyone vouch for the authenticity of this website.

I'm concerned that none of the photo's show any service, except for one, but it's not a network I'm familiar with.

Also...

a uk plug?? (i'm from the UK so it's cool)

I'm guessing they're from Italy or Hong Kong, but can't be sure.

It's the Top Selling phone apparently, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Any thoughts?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Scam. Walk away. You did the absolute right thing coming to ask about a site first.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Anyone selling iPhones except for authorised retail partners (e.g. O2, Carphone Warehouse, AT&T, etc) is always going to be a bit "iffy" because there are no wholesale channel supplies of the iPhone.
    If you want an iPhone, buy one from an approved outlet and give yourself one less thing to worry about ;)

Even if you want to unlock it and use it on another network, you're better getting it on contract than that site, even if they are supplying them:

16GB iPhone on 18 month contract: £159.00
    18 months contract @ £30 / month: £540.00

Total: £699.00

Price from that website: £732.00

Buy it from an Apple store and you get full Apple warranty (why do plemix want another £72 for a warranty!!) and peace of mind. Plus, you get an interest free 18 month loan for £540 of the cost :)

As soon as unlocking tools are available, you'd be able to unlock it as easily as anyone selling "unlocked" phones so you're covered there too...

4. ParishYoung thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help guys.

However.. surely £33 for the luxury of someone else travelling to Hong Kong, and the subsequently being able to happily survive future software upgrades from Apple has got to be worth it??

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Not sure I understand what you mean - I wasn't aware there were any officially unlocked phones available in Hong Kong: Only iPhones that are officially sold unlocked will be guaranteed to survive future software updates

6. adom macrumors 6502

Their customers, if they are even that, don't seem to love the £33 extra...

If something is too good to be true, it usually is :eek:

7. muckymucky macrumors member

muckymucky

i've actually been on plemix before and they usual have a lot of unlock phones i.e. nokia n95's back when the US didnt have any and my friend vouches for this website.. so this time it is a little bit strange that they're already vending "unlocked" 3G iphones because the dev team hasnt even released...

but perhaps its the modded-sim method that they used to make the iphone thinks the modded-sim card belongs to the carrier.

lets keep an out eye, i wouldn't say this is a scam but i wouldn't recoomend buying this at the moment~