How bad are your directions in Maps?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by juice, Sep 20, 2012.

1. juice macrumors newbie

Wow. Pretty surprised how bad the directions are in maps. Lots of them take you to the wrong place or take you down 10 miles of a road with stoplights instead of 10 miles down a highway. Not impressed.

Here's an example when trying to get directions to Dulles Airport (the actual POI). I dont' think I want to drive down that runway to catch a flight. That's pretty bad for a major POI.

Attached Files:

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wow, that's kid of funny! I wouldn't mind that path if it allowed us to bypass the TSA security checkpoints.

On a serious note, it last night wanted me to go north at an intersection instead of south to get to my apartment which was only 1000 feet away.

3. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

LOL! Down the runway! Too funny! Could you see trying to explain that to airport security as why your car was driving down the runway? Does Siri say, "In 50 feet, smash thru chainlink fence, then hard right onto Runway niner"?

Again why would they release this POS on the public? I appreciate what they're trying to do but it's not like apple to release something that wasn't ready for prime time. How many times did we hear that BS about how they werent releasing multitasking/foldering/etc etc until they had done it right? Now the put this out and its one of the most used features by iPhone users i'd bet.

4. SunnyFL macrumors regular

I tried it this mornig to see how it would route my trip to work, it was way wrong. I guess it would have got me there but was going way out of the way. My Garmin is right on the money however.

5. zzyzx macrumors member

I tested it a bit yesterday and it went exactly how I would go. I'm not sure if I'm incredibly lucky or if this is one of these Internet deals where any minor problem is blown up to be the WORST ISSUE EVER!!!!

6. penguy, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

penguy macrumors 6502

I'm sure this is because I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and Apple is just a few miles south of me, but so far it has taken about a dozen requests and hit them all perfectly. So, as many others have said, I expect things will improve and probably rapidly as they gather data from the vast numbers of users out there.

That said, I miss street view and transit!

I noticed something related to POI that I'm curious about. If I search restaurants near me...I get a number of hits...but if I zoom in...zoom in some more, you will see most (not all) of the other restaurants displayed as various icons depending on the business...many of these are restaurants, and if you tap them, you get info on that location...how is it selecting the response to my query if all of those others are on the map?

7. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

I've run it for a few things on my 4s and Ipad 2 and it's routed me correctly.

I'm curious in this poster's example, what the name for that red dot is. Does it just say airport or terminal or something else?

8. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Mine have been pretty good for the few routes I spot checked. Austin, TX area.

9. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

In Albuquerque we have some Interstate exits with four characters. Such as 159B or 226A; occasionally the directions are only reading off the lasting three. Also, a lot of the street names are Spanish words. I never heard any GPS pronounce them correctly but some of the English approximations barely make sense.

10. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

honestly it takes pretty good routes for me, but the actual location of where it ends tends to be off by an intersection or two

11. MacMan988 macrumors 6502a

Very bad. Directions are not available for my country. But the google maps worked perfectly.

12. juice thread starter macrumors newbie

The red dot I referred to in the original post is the POI for Dulles Airport. Zoom in on it and you can click on the POI which brings up the red dot and any directions. I really like the fact you can zoom in on POIs and click on them, I just don't like the bad info. When I tried to search for dulles airport it brings up all sorts of hotels, car services, and trams, but never the actual airport.

Attached Files: