How bad is heat?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JMB1911, Aug 30, 2015.

1. JMB1911 macrumors regular

i have a first gen 15 inch retina pro.

We run it in clamshell mode with a 27 ACD monitor.

My daughter plays a lot of flash games and the Mac is always running with the fan on.

Question I have is running with the fan on like that while she plays those games....is that gonna cause any problems? Or is it made for that and no big deal?

Thanks

2. rapicell macrumors regular

That's why the fans are there, to help the computer cool itself. The laptop will shut itself off should it get too high in temp to prevent damage. However, it's not surprising that the fans rev up with the display active and flash games, so I wouldn't be concerned too much.

3. aznboi91 macrumors regular

Make sure the fans and airflow is good. Otherwise it will get very hot.

Make sure you clean out those fans inside too. Dust can cause your fans to heat up too.

If it does get too hot... I usually like using an icepack under the laptop were the cpu is located to remove the excess heat faster :)

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

This.

I'm not sure why you'd think it's a problem? The fans running is a Good Thing™. If they didn't work, your computer would fry itself within a few minutes of running (faster if anything intensive was being done).

Flash is very ressource hungry. Power generates heat. Heat needs to be extracted so that everything works within safe temperature limits. That's the fans' job. If you're hearing them, they're doing it correctly.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Bad idea, condensation from the ice-pack could drip into the computer and kill it. Don't do this.