How bad is my display? rMBP13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Constantine.T, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Constantine.T macrumors member

Good day to everyone!
    Could somebody inspect my display?

I bought my rMBP13" 8gb 256gb about 14 days ago, thus I am out of swapping period. Everything was fine until I started to study many threads here and catch a paranoia :) Then I done all tests and finally revealed some drawbacks: backlight bleeding on black screen, 5 unnoticeable stuck pixels (2 on white, one on red, 2 on black), slight yellowish effect on left bottom corner.

Nevertheless, I decided to keep my machine because these imperfections would never become obvious for me in daily use. Second reason is that I don't have much time to play this pretty popular "swapping game" until having the 100% perfect one :)

Please, look at my screen, how bad is it objectively? Shall I bother about these drawbacks or just enjoy my machine? I do love it, it awesome laptop. Surely if the situation gets worse with the display I will apply to authorized apple center and use a warranty service for changing the display. Or should I definitely do it until warranty period ends in order to get better display?

Your thoughts and comments are highly appreciated!!!:apple:

Attached Files:

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

i find your blurry pics confusing.
    can't make much out on them.
    u should ask someone in real life.

How do you notice 5 pixels not working? did you inspect your screen with a magnifying glas?

always get insurance on your macbook. (not apple care - real insurance!)
    that way you can just hand it in if something really bothers you at some point.

didn't you just post a similar thread?

3. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Okay, based on those photos, the backlight bleed shown on the black screen (presuming it actually looks like that in real life) is probably noticeable enough that a Genius would authorize a display replacement under warranty. (Bear in mind that the vast majority of IPS displays exhibit this to some extent.)

But if those imperfections never become apparent to you in daily use, then you have virtually no reason to return this computer now. You could end up with a worse display and find yourself trapped in a never-ending exchange loop over the holidays. No fun.

I'd say live with it, and if a few months down the road these things start to bug you, ask Apple to replace the display for you. (It's an easy fix and in some cases can be done in-store in about 30 minutes while you wait.)

4. Constantine.T thread starter macrumors member

My wife told me that I'm crazy and she would never notice such issues.

I found these 5 pixels after red / green / black screen tests.
    They look like white small shining points visible only if getting closer to display.

What kind of insurance do you mean? I rely on standart warranty only, for me it is quite sufficient :)

Nope, I didn't post any similar threads lately here.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

Insurance means u get it replaced if it gets damaged or stolen.

Warranty means u get it repaired/replaced if it stops working correctly for reasons caused by apple.

Insurance = u know u always have a macbook no matter what.

6. Constantine.T, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013

Constantine.T thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your contribution to my issue.
    It is important to point out that the backlight bleeding looks much more terrible on photos unlike in real life. Physically it looks like slight yellowish on the black screen. Frankly I have never saw IPS displays with pure black without slight backlight bleeding on the corners.

You are right, those imperfections don't bother me at all, therefore I decided to keep this machine and stay away from endless exchange loop.
    My strategy is to visit apple center before 2 month of warranty ends. Most likely all LG screens with these well-known drawbacks will be out of stock after one year and there will be likelihood to get the right one just in order to be calm :)

What do you think about that?

By the way, I thought the process of display replacing will take at least one or two weeks, does it really take only 30 minutes?

----------

Ok, I got it.
    Does the standard warranty cover the mentioned problems with retina displays or those drawbacks/features are within permissible frames in Apple's opinion?

----------

By the way, seems I also have IR, but when I made IR tests for several times all was fine.
    I discovered it after switching screens and saw IR of the main control panel below.

7. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

That's a good plan, Constantine.

A Genius at my Apple Store agreed that my first display was "at the far end of the accepted range" of quality, and was willing to do a warranty replacement for the display. It was a pretty subtle issue--the kind that your mother would probably not notice!--so based on this I suspect that Apple will do what they can to make you happy, even if your display is technically 'within spec'.

(Of course, in 10 months you will be well past the "obsessive stage" of owning a new computer, so this issue probably won't bother you at all anymore.)

And yes, a display can be replaced on the spot within about 30 minutes--it's not a big job--but you would still need to schedule a service appointment first, and it can take a few days for your local store to get a display in stock if they don't already have some.

8. Constantine.T thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for useful suggestions, I appreciate it. I'll move further according to mentioned strategy. Looks like in my case there is no other way out and I do rely on Apple support and willingness to make their buyers happy by all means.

9. EatingApples macrumors member

when did you place your order? Did you check if apples holiday return policy is valid in your country? If you ordered after November 1, you can swap it until January 7 2014 :)

10. Constantine.T thread starter macrumors member

I bought my rmbp not in online store, as far as I know this holiday swap policy affects only on online purchases, isn't it? To be more specific, I don't want to swap my rmbp out right now. I am pretty satisfied its quality but nevertheless it has some imperfections which don't bother me at all (IR after 30 minutes of intensive graphic load, 5 stuck pixels which are unnoticable in daily use, backligh bleeding on the black screen). Therefore I will apply to apple warranty service before warranty ends and change the display. It's much more convenient and sensible unlike participation in endless swapping lottery.

11. Constantine.T thread starter macrumors member

By the way, does somebody have IR from the Dock panel below after one hour?