How bad is the fan noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Killbom, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Killbom macrumors newbie

Hi!

I'm thinking about buying my first Mac, and i'm looking at the high-end 15". It seems to have the performance I demand (especially the GPU, for HoN, and Diablo 3 when released)

But I'm worried about the fan noise people are talking about here!
    I want the computer to be very silent while doing daily tasks like having some terminals up, playing music, using Skype, Adium and having 10 tabs open in the browser.

If i play a game I know the fans will spin up, but to which amount? Will it be like a loud desktop computer or more of just a whine?

Thanks!

2. SolidSnak3 macrumors member

I will like to know this for the 13' 2011 model

3. amoergosum macrumors 6502

4. Killbom thread starter macrumors newbie

Someone in the forum must own a 15"!

There are many threads regarding this topic but for the 13" :(

5. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

I don't have the née quad core model, but my 15" 2.93 core 2 is pretty loud when playing wow. It's annoying, especially if you talk on vent while gaming.

6. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

For my new 13" to the guy who was wondering, it doesn't get loud at all doing basic things like having 2-4 programs open working in each.

7. Killbom thread starter macrumors newbie

okay? so it's the older one? How is it during normal use?

8. amoergosum macrumors 6502

How is that going to help you?
    He doesn't own a 2011 Macbook Pro.

9. Killbom thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't sure he was using the older one. Not to familiar with how they are named. Thanks for the heads up!

10. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

I had the 15 i5 base from 2010 for a couple of days last week and ran 3 adobe product with multiple (read ALOT) of tabs open in spaces.
    I turned up the fans all the way with smcfancontrol and honestly the fans "loudest" was not that bad and easy to tune out.
    I have definitely heard ALOT worse from other laptops.

If you dint want a hot machine, but don't want loud fans. Get one of those lap fans. that plug in via USB.
    My friend has one and it keeps her Mbp about 10 degrees cooler at all times..they aren't loud and good for laying in bed watching movies :)

11. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

ok well I had a 2010 15inch i7 and it was dead silent .. could never hear any fan noise.

now I have a 2011 15in 2.3i7 and it seems to idle around 30-36C but I constantly hear the fan even when I am not doing anything and it is really really getting on my nerves. It reminds of my PC days when I was overclocking and all I heard was fan noise. I am thinking of bringing it back and getting a different one. My fans are at 2000rpm but I can definitely hear it. I miss my 2010

12. Killbom thread starter macrumors newbie

oh damn, that sucks. I want to have it on my desk, totally silent so I can browse and do stuff in peace.

Maybe I can listen to it at a macstore...

Currently have a (very) modded desktop but u cant get it totally silent with powerful components.

Really interested in getting such a powerful laptop tough...

13. jetjaguar, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

well i am on the phone with apple currently about this issue .. just did the pram and smc reset .. still have the fan noise. I am guessing its normal .. i mean its not loud .. but you can definitely hear the fan which is annoying but its not loud .. its just a constant wooshing sound

edit

well the apple person said this are definitely louder than the previous ones but she told me to take it to the genius bar .. because other issues I have noticed is very slow wifi, the trackpad not recognizing when i click on something and also when i type..nothing shows up and then all of a sudden it does. So she said since I am still in my 14 days they can just swap it out.

14. 4everZero macrumors newbie

I bought the 13" so i cant tell you what the 15" is like. But it is really quiet most of the time. I ran starcraft2 this morning and the fan really kicked in. Its a bit louder than i hoped but i can deal with it.

Hope it's a bit helpful

15. amoergosum macrumors 6502

Someone on a german forum purchased a new 15" Macbook Pro and wrote
    that it sounds like a "jet engine" during heavier tasks.
    Now that got me a little worried.

16. -Ken- macrumors regular

German jet engines have a reputation for noise unfortunately.

17. Qinetic macrumors member

I have the new 13" and I play WoW in a 25 man raid setting (lots of graphics). It is impossible to play. Running through the city on medium graphics by yourself gave me subpar FPS and the fans kicked all the way on. But once I got into graphics intensive combat (raiding) the latency makes it unplayable.

I'm considering either getting the 15" or dropping WoW entirely. Neither sounds ideal to me.

18. -Ken- macrumors regular

The 13" with Intel's HD3000 isnt meant for games like WoW, you'd be better off getting the 15" with a dedicated GPU or last year's Pro which has an Nvidia 320m (I think)

My Mac Mini can do WoW @ medium detail level for what it's worth.

19. onelazyman macrumors newbie

I own the i7 13"MB Pro, and so far I'm really satisfied with the fan noise.
    The fans are only kicking when I play recent games.

But I never hear them in "normal" circumstances.

20. gregoryalee macrumors regular

I have the 15" 20112.3. No noise for me. I haven't really pushed it though.

21. amoergosum macrumors 6502

Push it and let us know...:)

22. -Ken- macrumors regular

Exact same computer as yours, I barely hear them.

23. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i have the same as you but dont you hear the fan when its just idling .. do it in a quiet room

24. Killbom thread starter macrumors newbie

Can u play a game and report? Test HoN for example, thats what im going to play! or something similar, guess warcraft 3 cuts it!

Maybe its just a small percentage of faulty ones who make noise, and their users scream the most :p

25. -Ken- macrumors regular

I'll try WoW at medium detail settings. My Mac Mini can play it acceptably @ 1920 x 1080.