How bad is the Proximity Sensor (pre 4.1)? Check this out...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HXGuy, Sep 9, 2010.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

This was a 17 minute conversation while driving. I've had every iPhone since the first one and have always talked on them the same way...this is just ridiculous.

The app I'm using is called Call Guard. Needless to say, I am upgrading to 4.1 right now and unfortunately losing my jailbreak but this is just to much.

[​IMG]

2. techguy1 macrumors regular

There's a law against that :p

3. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

Aww, the touches resemble the shape of an ear!

But seriously, it really sucks. I've upgraded to iOS 4.1 and am still having the issue.

4. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

This may be a stupid question but does it pick up touches even with the screen off? Or because it's an app and you have it running, does the screen go off when you have it close to your face?

5. chembox macrumors 6502a

That's actually pretty cool.

I would imagine that the proximity sensor disables any screen touches system-wide and there's no way to circumvent that.

6. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Same here, it's not any better.

7. vp911 macrumors member

same here. The Apple store replaced the phone today on the off chance it was a hardware issue. 4.1, new phone, same problem. I'm going to video record me throwing it against a wall tomorrow and buy an Android.

8. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

Just got back from the Apple store. New phone, same problem. The new phone is a week 33 production.

However, the phone they gave me is on 4.0.2...but I was hoping even with 4.0.2 it would be better then before. On the way home, I had 5 unwanted touches while on the phone for 11 minutes.

Im contemplating not upgrading to 4.1 as I have a feeling it will be the exact same and that I will lose the jailbreak/unlock ability.

9. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I'm recommend you don't because mine is a week 35 production and 4.1 did not fix the issue at all.

10. phobox macrumors member

No doubt people wont like me much for this, but honestly since I upgraded to 4.1, the prox issues have disappeared for me. My iPhone 4 shipped with 4.01 which I later upgraded to 4.02, both had massive prox sensor issues.. 4.1 has fixed them. Perhaps there is something screwing up somewhere in the upgrade process that messes up the prox sensor for some people? Some seem to be reporting its fixed, others report its not. Def something weird going on, maybe a hardware difference?

11. ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

I'm just curious, and it probably won't help anybody, but can someone check to see if aiming a TV-remote at the sensor does the same thing? My suspicion is that the proximitysensor works with infrared light. I've seen that technology working with digital camera's. Putting your eye to the viewfinder makes the screen turn off.

12. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, I thought 4.0.2 is jailbreakable but I guess it's not, it's the update where they patched the PDF exploit so I'm updating to 4.1 now. It sounds like a jailbreak will be out for 4.1 anyway so it shouldn't be long. I'm hoping the 4.1 update works better on this new phone vs my previous phone.

13. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Right can someone enlighten me as to what this is all about?!

Ive had my IP4 since launch day. When I want to make a call I hold the phone to my head, the screen goes off, I speak to the person Im calling, then when Im done I pull the phone away from my head and the screen comes back on.

This is what always happens and it all seems quite simple. Am I missing something?? :confused:

14. Ballis macrumors 6502a

4.1 is a joke. I dont care about all the bells and whistles anymore, gamecenter and whatnot. Ive got as many unwanted touches as threadstarter and its starting to piss me off. Pretty much every call I have ends with me hanging up prematurely.

Had it not been for all the apps Ive bought allready, Id be on droid now. I guess Ill have to settle for last years 3GS. Im starting to hate my iPhone.

15. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Ah maybe thats the difference then, I dont press the glass against my face, dont want grease etc all over the screen. The only pat that presses against my head is the actual speaker part.

16. GeekGuys macrumors regular

I am beginning to wonder if the majority of issues with the iPhone 4 were US based or just the majority of complainers are US based? Still not sure.

I am UK based and got a first batch iPhone 4. Proximity problems..... yes loads. iOS 4.1 and not noticed any so far but still early days.
    I cannot reproduce the Death Grip issue. I go into Field Test Mode and try to hold and cover and do all sorts of grips but don't get a single dropped db. Never have with this phone.
    Another thing I used to get with my previous 3G (didn't bother with 3GS as I never liked the 3G/S shaped or style) was I used to lose 3G and data signals all the time. I had to reboot it weekly, sometimes daily to regain data signal.
    My iPhone 4 has been restarted about 4 times since June. Battery lasts 2 days between charges... much nicer form factor.

All in all, I am very pleased with my phone. To me, the 3G(s) is Apples MS Vista !!!!!!!!:D

17. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Post a link, or I won't believe you :D

18. Surrix macrumors regular

But the 3GS "shaped or style" is exactly the same as the 3G aside from nicer backside lettering. :\ What's wrong with it? Nothing was bad about it that I can see, it just wasn't a huge leap forward.

19. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Well Im Norwegian and the iPhone 4 is just about as ****** here as it is everywhere. Granted, antenna problems doesnt occur here, cant even provoke it. Cell tower density may be an explanation. But the pos proximity sensor...

I believe you got it wrong. The iPhone 4 is Apples Vista. Looks and features upgraded. But for its intended use, calling people, its useless.

Called Apple today. Ive had it. Replacement coming next week. unless that fixes things, Im going back to my 3gs and gives this phone to my daughter. Shes only 4. Its gonna sub for her DS of which ive misplaced her charger. Thats what this phone is reduced to. Game Center...Pffft. Gimme a phone that works Apple!

20. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Nice roundabout way of saying Americans are loud-mouthed whiners. No, I'm sure everyone has the problems, only Americans aren't afraid to let their voices be heard when they feel something isn't right.

Seriously? There's no reason to insult the 3GS like that! Damn...that's harsh! :eek: :D

21. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Here is my last call, 14 minutes. Running 4.1

Nice fix :apple::mad:

Attached Files:

22. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Interesting. Doesn't really tell us much though. Unless you have the firmware code that shows what does what and when, "unwated touches" doesn't mean anything as far as the operation of the phone goes. Do you have a similar screen cap from a 3GS, 3G, or 2G? The comparison may be telling (assuming they handle "touches" in the same way) and help bolster your contention that, I assume, unwanted touches are bad and end phone calls (?).

Cheers

23. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I agree. I would have preferred 4.1 to be more about improving performance and increasing battery life. Alas, it is not. As I don't have any proximity issues and really don't feel like competing with a 13 year-old on the other side of the world in Ms. Pac Man, I'm passing on the underwhelming 4.1.

24. PhoneI macrumors 65816

You held the phone to your head for 17 minutes while driving? Please tell me when and where you will be on the road so I can keep my family far away.