How bad is your battery health?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by flopticalcube, Feb 20, 2010.

1. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My sons 2 yr old 1g touch (he just got a 3g for his bday) is now only able to play music for 2.5 hours before dying from a full charge. I'm going to replace the battery before passing it on to my daughter. Just curious how others batteries have held up, or not?

2. celticpride678

My 2nd gen. iPod touch battery lasts about an hour and a half of video playback, 5 hours of audio, 2 hours of constant web browsing.

3. flopticalcube thread starter macrumors G4

flopticalcube

How old is it?

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

If it's a 2G it'd only be a year and five months old at the very most, which seems like a really short time for the battery to lose that much of it's capacity. My 2G touch is from January 09 (so 13 months old) and I still get a good 14 hours of music playback.

5. celticpride678

December '08

6. flopticalcube thread starter macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That's pretty bad for such a young unit. My other son's 2g touch can still do over 18 hours of music and its about 11 months old.

7. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I have a first gen iPod touch and battery life isn't spectacular. I have at least 22 hours of music on it.

8. pilotrtc macrumors regular

From Apple's site

This is what Apple recommends for keeping your iPod's battery healthy.

As a result, I make sure I "kill" mine at least once a month. I time it to drain completely by the time I have to go to sleep. Then I let it lie "dead" overnight. When I wake up, I plug it in and by the time I'm ready to leave in the morning, it's charged.

I have also added a weekly restart just in case I forgot to restart it after adding new apps.

9. bigdaddyp macrumors regular

One thing that may help is to charge the unit while it is turned completely off. I thought mine was going to need a new battery, but charged it once while turned off. I noticed it charged for much longer then normal and when I used it the battery seemed to last much longer. Software issue perhaps?

10. celticpride678

Ya, I'm thinking of bringing it in for a battery test.

11. Vesuvio Cat macrumors regular

Battery issues - or the suspicion of issues - probably cause more anxiety among iPod users than any others. My first iPod was an iPod mini I received after I graduated from college. It lasted about 9 months before the battery started causing me massive problems. I was hired to do fieldwork in Peru and was using a Maxell battery pack and I thought that may have damaged the battery, then when I joined the Peace Corps I basically always had to leave the battery pack on to listen to the iPod. However, since then I stopped using battery-oriented accessories and haven't had any problems. My iPod 160GB, my iPod touch 1G 16 GB and my iPod Touch 2G 32 GB all have excellent battery lives. In fact, I think my 32 GB iPod Touch may even have above-average battery performance. I can watch nearly 7 hours of video (with space in between) over a period of days before I get down to the 10% mark.