How badly does the white macbook scratch and discolor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ElCambo, May 22, 2007.

1. ElCambo macrumors regular

I'm buying one this weekend. Still stuck between the stupid decision of white or black. The only concern to me really is how it will look after time. I know both have their pros and cons... the black gets fingerprint smudges easily, and the white scratches very easily and discolors. I don't like using all those protector things and ill probably just have a sleeve case that i can slip it in when i move it around, yet generally my mac will be sitting on my desk. I would like to know more about how badly the white one gets scratched up and about the discoloring of it. I really want to look back in a year and see a beautiful mac that doesn't look all scratched up and a nasty color.

2. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I had both, the black was a nightmare, the white was great but buy a hard cover, go with the white :)

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Ive had my white MB since the day they first came out. Not one scratch and no discolouration and its used everyday - and not just by myself. Its used by other people who couldnt care less if it got scratched or damaged.

4. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

If it's anything like the G3 iBook, it'll going to be tough one to damage. Some people I know have been abusing iBooks since 2002 and after 5 years of mayhem they still look better than "decent".

I have no idea about the black color though, but I'm guessing it's not as good in the long term.

5. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

I received one of the white macbooks that discolored, it started as a pinkish circle where my palms would touch. Also the edges started to brown. This was 3 weeks into my purchase (last June) Apple replaced the outside bezel of the keyboard/mouse immediately, and i haven't had any issues since. I use my mac as my primary computer and it's touched daily by me and my girl. It shown the slightest hint of use. I have one scratch on the top, but that was my fault. I keep the Macbook clean with iKlear and it still sparkles. I put a coat of wax on the outside a few months ago and that's been real helpful too. (yes car wax)

6. munckee macrumors 65816

This pic is the best demonstration of discoloration that I've seen:

[​IMG]

*Not my computer. I'm not selling that computer. Just saw the picture while perusing CL this morning.

7. ElCambo thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much for all your quick responses. You've convinced me to go white. Deep down I wanted it but was afraid that it would look bad after a while. But I am a guy that does like to take care of my stuff, and I'm presuming by what you have told me that if i just take care of the beauty if should be fine for quite some time.

Thanks so much for all your input and making my decision clear

8. naturallight macrumors member

Why was the black a nightmare? Because of the fingerprints? It seems to be the black would be better in the long run.

9. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

My MacBook has several fine scratches on the top and bottom cases, but i've given mine quite a bit of hell over the last year. It was initially discolouring, but i got the keyboard case replaced, and no more discolouration :D

Just how bad is the black with the smudging? I was planning on buying a dead black MacBook off ebay and putting the top and bottom cases on my white MacBook, but if it is as bad as you say, I might just leave my mods for a later time :eek:

10. ElCambo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks some pretty nasty discoloring... but correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that from the experiences that esaldana817 and Scarlet Fever have said is that its certain cases that discolor, and that it would be easy to tell if you had one. Why is it that some of the cases discolor and some don't? I would assume the latest models would have this under control if there are two type one that does discolor and one that doesn't.

11. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

The very first macbooks that came out had the discoloration. They isolated the issue and started producing the replacements. I don't recall what the initial cause was (I know it was a production issue that only affected SOME Macbooks, but it was nothing that the user was doing), but if you had a case that would discolor, you'd know within the first 2 weeks. I believe Apple's statement was that the oils from your hands would cause it, but i think the true reason was faulty cases. Even still the replacements are top notch and aren't affected in any way. Apple has been terrific about making good on that issue though. There were no hassles getting it replaced. I haven't seen any C2D Macbooks that have the discoloration, only the original CD. Then again i haven't looked for a C2D. But yeah it's an easy find and an easy fix.

If you'd like I can take a pic of mine that's 11 months old and you can see the difference. I'm not so anal that i wash my hands before i touch it, but yes i take care of it and it shows. ;)

12. ElCambo thread starter macrumors regular

That would be great thanks. I'm the kinda person who will start off anal in protecting it and making it sure its beautiful... but over time i tend to loosen up a bit, still take care of it, but not as intensely as before. A picture would be great though i would appreciate that.

13. munckee macrumors 65816

14. slashjunior macrumors regular

I have had my white MacBook 6 months now and it still looks good as new. Occasionally I need to wipe off fingerprints, but no more than any other electrical device. I have also found it reliable. My dad's new laptop (non Mac) has just lost a key after about a month.

15. chaber macrumors newbie

Hi there, i had my white macbook for only 6 months and it has scratched really badly although i haven't been doing anything extreme with it ! Is that possible to get replacement for the case? I wish i knew this earlier, because i would buy an extra case for it to protect it!

16. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Current MB is perfect, but my 5 year old ibook still
    looks darn good. Non issue as far as I'm concerned.

17. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

You can replace the outer casings (the shell of the computer) if you really want to, but it does mean you have to take the whole computer apart. It's not something I'd do just because of a few fine scratches.

18. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Just use iKlear regularly, and enjoy your WMB;)

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Er....

Why is this thread in the MacBookPro forums,
    shouldn't it be in the MacBook forum instead? :rolleyes:

20. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I put a clean (old) T-shirt in my laptop bag and used it as a sleeve to hold my White MacBook on the go. I used it for two years with zero scratches or discoloration on the case. I also had a clear film on the palmrest and trackpad that prevented any wear.

I got max resale value for it (took a loss on some upgrades I did), most of it had to do with the overall condition of the laptop when I sold it.

[​IMG]

21. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

It is because back in May of '07 when this thread was started, there was only one forum for the Macbook/Macboook Pro.. It wasn't until the Macbook Air came out that they split them into 3 separate forums.

Note the 3 stickies on the top of the forums.

22. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Get a hard case from Incase. It'll protect it from scratches. Mine, so far, has none.