Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I have MacBook from late 2006. Core 2 Duo 2.0 with 3 GB of ram ( 4 GB, but only 3 is readable.

Besides the smaller footprint of the install, will I get any noticeable performance upgrade and also will It be able to support more ram now that its a completely 64 bit OS

gacxx

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Well, shutting down is 80% faster, and waking from sleep is twice as fast. Also the change to 64 bit will give a performance boost on some tasks. One of the biggest things about snow leopard, if it applies to you, is that time machine backups are up to 80% faster! Also the installation will take up less space(freeing 7GB from Leopard I think), and be up to 50% faster. I'm not sure about the Ram not working as is, I wasn't aware you could only read 3GB- you should be able to read up to 4.

txhockey9404

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
I wasn't aware you could only read 3GB- you should be able to read up to 4.

Some older models simply cannot address that much due to hardware limitations. Just like how the Aluminum Macbooks could use 4gb officially, 6gb unofficially, and the 13" MBP can have 8gb officially.

You will notice a bit in that your OS will be 64bit, making it faster. For $29, why not?

paeza

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2006
Canberra, Australia
That's pretty much why I'm purchasing a copy for my Whitebook.

Same here. I was abt to buy 7200rpm harddisk to boost up speed for my white macbook but I think it is too expensive ($100-150) for old laptop (late 2006). So I am just gonna buy SL and use it for the time being before upgrading to the new mac in the next few years.

gniss39

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2007
Eugene, OR
The smaller footprint, performance increases, time machine speed increase, and shutdown/wake up increases are easily worth the $29 for my Blackbook ^^

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.