How bent am I?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Shik, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Shik macrumors newbie

I think my iPod ate itself tonight. It froze, was warm, & then the battery eventually drained. It's happened before but this time it now shows a sad iPod icon. I tried to run the diagnostics but all I'm getting is the icon. Granted, it is still charging, but nonetheless.

When it charges, I'll try to set it to do it again and/or set it to Disk Mode (of course, if that's the same as enabling disk use, then that's standard), which would them mean a software issue; if not, it's hardware & I have to send it in,. Either way, I'm probably screwed since I won't be able to get my songs back. Or so I think.

I have heard tell of programs (especially free ones) that will go in & grab the files off the hard drive without the usual interface but all my search attempts have proved fruitless. Has anyone else heard of such a thing, & if so, any ideas where I might be directed to find them? All assistance would be appreciated

Figures this would happen now: I made negotiations to buy a Mac.

For the record, the stats involved are the following:
    • iPod photo, 60 GB (6.3 GB left free)
    • Set for Mac use (no, I don't have a mac yet, but I can probably get access to one)
    • 13,133 songs...but some I have on CD.

2. Shik thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've read that. But it doesn't tell me anything. Restore it? OK, but I lose all the files. Send it in? Ok, but I lose all the files. The last backup I made was August of last year; the Macs available to me were tetchy about burning DVDs.

I just really don't want to lose a lot of this (very irreoplaceable) stuff if I don't have to. I found a place that will do data recovery, but it'll cost me $375. That's a lot.

3. robPOD macrumors 6502

Dude that sucks $375,I would go with it if the stuff on your ipod means that much to you. Maybe try searching around for a cheaper place?

4. Shik thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've got a lot of Asian music & odd bits & ends on there.

OK, now I'm beginning to think my iPod can fight off in fection, or my house has massive amounts of healing energy & feng shui: I'd just left the unit plugged in to charge & when I woke up 5 minutes or so ago, it had the charged icon on screen. Hm. Unplugged it, & there was the normal flash of light on the screen.

And damned if it's not working again. What the gui?

Two weeks. If she can hold on for 2 weeks, then I can dump her onto the new unit & then no worries.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

This is why you don't keep only one copy of anything, especially on an iPod. Don't you have all of this stuff on your computer?

6. Shik thread starter macrumors newbie

No.

What happened was, I had no computer, & I initially filled things using my now-ex-girlfirned's Macbook. Eventually, she let me use her access accoutn at the local uni & I was able to manage it there. I ended up being pinched in December by the uni cyber securtiy squad, & since then, I've had no Mac access. right now, I'm using a computer loaned to me by some friends,. but it's (ugh) a PC running XP. As I said, I have a few DVD backups, but they're from August; I haven't been able to get others done since then.

I lost a pod once before & know what it's like. I HAD kept all the files on the uni computers, but...yeah.