Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
OK, I don't know if this is heresy, especially in this part of MR, so please allow me some forgiveness in advance ... after all, it's not my computer:

Shortly I will be backing up the contents of a 5300cs for a friend. He has requested that once his data is safe, we "creatively destroy it." Now, this could mean simply running it over, taking hammer in hand, etc., but I was thinking something more along the lines of the old MacPlus-into-fishtank genre. But I don't think the fish forced to live in the thin screen space of a PowerBook would be very happy, so I'd like to think of something else to do with it. The best we have so far is to turn it into a tissue box (slot cut through the closed top). As you can see, we need some help with any better, creative ideas you might have.

I have thought about keeping it around, or just giving it away, but really I don't see it as something anyone else should want. The battery does not hold a charge, and it has some minor case issues that would probably bug someone who wanted to use it everyday. That said, it is functional, and I recognize that our plan involves destroying a computer that still might be worth something to someone (in terms of use for them, not $ for us). SO if we don't get any good ideas, or if we just aren't won over by the tissue dispenser idea, I will try to talk my friend into disposing of it more gently.

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
You have way too much time on your hands, you should help a charity with your free time.

Edit: Now that I think about it you could do some pretty cool thing with it.

P.S. You probably couldn't put too many tissues in it though.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Liquid nitrogen... Then smash it to pieces. ;)

Nah, you'd hurt yourself... Donate it to charity.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
Get some really powerful fireworks (depending on where you live it may be hard to get them) stick them so thatthe fuses are sticking out and the explosives are inbetween the keyboard and the LCD- then connect all the fuses and light a match. Kaboom.

Or donate it.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
We've all mentioned donate/charity, but does someone actually want a computer like this? It's approaching 10 years old, painfully slow, not portable, the hinge area doesn't look trustworthy, the screen has some weird ghosting issues going on, the HD doesn't sound right, I can't get its ethernet card to work, there's old white-out residue (or something ... I didn't ask) on the palm rests ... I don't think I'm being too much of a snob asking why I would want to inflict a computer like this on someone. Yes, it works, but .... Well, donation is worth consideration I guess.

In the meantime, I am still open to creative destruction suggestions!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I've always wanted to try one of those projects where you turn an old laptop into an electronic picture frame and put it on the wall. Maybe you could run linux and you could telnet to the painting on the wall! :)

Otherwise, I'd be in the give it away camp.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Zero the hard drive, remove it, take it apart, and dispose of the parts separately in some sort of environmentally safe fashion -- maybe put some liquid nitrogen over the platter before you toss the thing.

Put in a new hard drive and score a Powerbook, with none of his data retrievable, even by the CIA.

That's creative.

iMurc

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2004
Now, I am for a Picture Frame or a Lighting mod... After all I ran a PB170 over and it STILL WORKED, so it was not that much fun.

iMurc

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2004
BTW I any has or can make a Make Picture Frame I could buy/trade let me know.

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
iMurc said:
BTW I any has or can make a Make Picture Frame I could buy/trade let me know.

I made one out of a Powerbook 520c...

BUT:
- the screen sucks, I should have spend a little more for the active matrix screen of a 540c
- the 2.5" SCSI HD is noisy as hell... aaargh! it pretty much makes the damn thing unusable

looks cool though and I'm looking for an PCMCIA adapter in order to disconnect the HD and boot from a flash card

oh, and it's pretty easy to build a frame. just take the 'book apart and everything else is pretty much self explaining ;)

vSpacken

superninjagoat

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2004
Apex, N.C
Ant farm

I doubt anyone else has ever made an ant farm laptop before. Perhaps you could do that. (I did a quick google, and didn't find one, but the world's a strange place :) )

That might fit with your fish tank spirit. s.n.goat

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
My vote is to give to "charity" (aka me ;-) ) or the ant farm. That'd be pretty original and fun.

But seriously, I'll take it. :D I need a laptop to get online with and check my email when I travel for work, so I don't really care what it is.

Rob

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Thanks for all the replies. The owner doesn't seem too keen on the picture frame idea. His last suggestion involved the question "got any battery acid?" ....

Antfarm: though personally I'm not a big fan of ants, I think that's a great idea.

Feel free to keep suggesting, as I'm being lazy and have not yet gotten around to gathering up the equipment (as explained in another MR thread) and actually transferring the data yet.

mrgreen, you read my post above and you still want this thing?

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
mrgreen4242 said:
I need a laptop to get online with and check my email when I travel for work, so I don't really care what it is.

It's a 5300, not the best classic machine out there. :)

And don't just blow it up or destroy it when it can go to a school or someone who needs a computer, that would be rather childish :rolleyes:

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
If you don't want it, I'd take it. I always take computer stuff. PM me if you want to go that route... depending on shipping costs, etc.

I like that antfarm idea. Thats neat, original, and is better than blowing it up (instant gratification and burn treatment vs. watching ants crawling around... before you start lacing their water supply with something like sugar)

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
mcgarry said:
Thanks for all the replies. The owner doesn't seem too keen on the picture frame idea. His last suggestion involved the question "got any battery acid?" ....

Antfarm: though personally I'm not a big fan of ants, I think that's a great idea.

Feel free to keep suggesting, as I'm being lazy and have not yet gotten around to gathering up the equipment (as explained in another MR thread) and actually transferring the data yet.

mrgreen, you read my post above and you still want this thing?

No, I don't really wany it =p I could probably buy an old Newton or something with a modem and use that to do what I need for less than the shipping on such a beast. I was mostly kidding. =P

Seriously though, the ant farm is a great idea... remove the screen and everythiing in the upper half and glue in some sort of glass panel... seal up everythign inside (don't want the ants to escape!) and fill with dirt and ants... viola. seems simple enough, and would be a great desk decoration and conversation piece, especially if you leave the base of it intact so that it still looks like a computer.

You should also remove any removable part and ebay them off... someone must still be using such a device and would probably buy the parts... =P

Rob

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Take 5300cs securely in both hands...

And repeatedly whack your friend in the head until the head or the computer falls apart.

wozzlewoozle

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2005
sarkoland
Another cool idea..

Get a small amount (1 or 1.5 pounds) of KNO3 (saltpeter), some sugar (0.5 to 1.5 pounds) and mix together (carefully). Cover the laptop in mound of this mixture, take a small amount (1 or 2 mL) of that battery acid and pour on top, step back (run) and enjoy.

This will create a ridiculous amount of smoke, and large purplish flames (due to electronic excitation of the potassium ions). I would guess (hope) that this will completely melt the powerbook. Oh by the way I'm a chemist and have done this numerous times on about 1/3 this scale outdoors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.