How best to edit out some telephone lines

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Cabbit, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

I took this picture a few months back and love the colour, composition and feel it creates, however it is spoiled by some phone lines (And maybe the not to nice building).

So what i want to know is what will be the best way to remove these lines, i have Photoshop CS5 and a relatively good knowledge of using it.

My initial thought is to spend a few hours with the clone stamp and slowly remove each line, another idea i had was to use the intelligent deleting thing but that created a right mess.

Attached Files:

2. bubulindo macrumors member

bubulindo

Have you tried the other side of the bridge?

maybe the lines aren't in your way there.

Also, the tree on the right side kinda kills a bit of the feeling.

3. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

"A few hours with the clone stamp" :eek:

Or revisit the bridge, pick a better viewpoint (away from ugly buildings and power lines), and take a pic that will require seconds in PP... not "hours"... :)

4. TheDrift-, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Not sure if there is an easy short cut here...plenty of cloning needed..the patch tool will save some time and content aware fill might work if you can break the lines down into bite size chunks.

The tree and the intricate section of the bridge will take some time, the simple brick work and skies...cple of mins.

definitely a case of a few mins in camera finding a better spot would have saved a lot of work

[​IMG]

5. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Whoa...what a nightmare of a cloning job! :eek: I count seven different lines, and they pass in front of brickwork, an intricate steel bridge, clouds, and a mass of foliage. I'm with Doylem on this one: reshoot!

6. Cabbit, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

Cabbit thread starter macrumors 68020

Cabbit

To retake the shot i need to go back up to Scotland next year when the summer hits again. So aye looks like i am in for a lot of editing.
    As for a better position this was not a shot i was aiming to get, we were on our way to deep sea world and i happened to snap a pic of the bridge, its only in the last week i've had time to go over these shots and this one stood out as looking quite nice.

Also i plan to crop the image something like what i have attached here(This was a quick crop), it will still make a image suitable for my needs(its not getting printed).

Attached Files:

7. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Not sure this image is worth it but if your going to go for it I'd suggest you start with the bridge, if thats ok the rest of it will be a piece of cake..I dont think the crop helps you....it puts the bridge and wires smack bang in the middle of the picture so any thing less than a perfect cloning job is going to stick out like a sore thumb!

Good luck and dont forget to post up your result!!

8. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

If you do go back, you might look through Google and Flickr for some accessible angles that others have found. These two look pretty good:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

or this view maybe..

[​IMG]

10. Cabbit thread starter macrumors 68020

Cabbit

When i go back i'll be going for the photo however its over a year of before i can get back home.

11. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Ok, since it's going to be a year before you get back to this bridge, have you tried PS's content aware tool?

12. Dark slide macrumors newbie

13. Oberhammer macrumors regular

Easy to do with content fill aware tool in Photoshop.

Should only take about a minute to do and you should have great results.

----------

Use the spot healing brush and make sure it is set to content aware.

In fact, here is a nice little tutorial on what to do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_dC-FkW4mw

Hope that answers your question

14. davidinva macrumors 6502a

I use Photoshop Elements 9 and lately had a couple of these wire problems and had good luck with the healing brush. Still a slow job. I try to apply it to small areas at a time.

15. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I couldn't spend too much time on this, but for about fifteen minutes I would say it isn't too bad. If you want to mess with what I did I will leave the .PSD in my dropbox for a while.

Attached Files:

16. Cabbit thread starter macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Cheers for the tutorial links and examples guys, i'll look over them after work.

17. RHVC59 macrumors 6502

Thanks for sharing that link to the Russel Brown show!
    That trick with content aware fill on a Path is truly worth the time spent.

I have had quite a number of shots taken from my deck the have been marred by power and telephone lines... I see some easy edits in my future:)