How best to extract iPhone data?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sparkie7, Sep 23, 2013.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I have read that there is iphonebackupextractor.com, but is there any others which are completely free, ie don't have to pay for the full editions?

-- I have backed up my iPhone 5 using iTunes backup onto my mac.

-- I know its located at : ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

-- But its hidden or locked in some database.

I just want to be access the data, mostly the photos and videos, ie. pull them off into another folder and use them. And want to delete the rest of the videos and photos on my iPhone, but quick. Don't want to use iPhoto as it seems slow and reimports everything when my backup data already has it in there on my Mac

-- Any ideas, advice appreciated :D

2. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I assume you're talking about clearing the images off the Camera Roll? Easiest way is to use Image Capture.

I set up a new folder on my iMac's desktop called "iPhone Camera Roll Images." The iPhone was already plugged into the computer, so I went to Finder > Applications > Image Capture. Opened Image Capture and then was able to choose the location for the images to be imported. You can leave the images still on Camera Roll, or you can click the option to delete them after downloading. That's what I did. You can choose to import all or import just certain ones. I Imported All into that new folder and bingo! Camera Roll on the iPhone is freshly cleared out and ready to go. All the images are safe and sound on the computer. Then you can do whatever you like: delete not-so-good ones, keep the best ones and edit them in an editing program,, etc. You can stash the folder in your Pictures folder and you're all set.

3. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Awesome advice Clix Pix. Thank you. I'll give it a try.

It's been on my Mac for years, and never used it. Sounds much better than iPhoto

4. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Ok, I selected ALL and copied photos and videos to my Mac, but I forgot to select Delete after copy! Whats the best way to delete them from the iPhone 5 now?

Manually delete each one in Camera Roll on the iphone one by one?

Also, how do I extract/copy all my other stuff, like phone contacts, SMS messages, and notes from the iPhone to my Mac, any advice/tips?

5. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Found my answer. Here it is if anyone wants to know...

Access the Usage option under the General section of the Settings app and tap on Photos & Camera. This time swipe your finger across the Camera Roll item in the list to reveal a Delete button. By clicking on thus button you will remove all photos from your iPhone’s Camera Roll. This action is not reversible, so be sure you are willing to delete all photos before you tap on the Delete button.

6. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

This did not work. Dam it. MF! Had to delete one by *****en one.