How best to manage a 2nd OS for an interface?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by flyinhigh, Sep 30, 2014.

1. flyinhigh macrumors member

Hi. Im on a 09-10 Imac that's been updated to Mavericks. I've bought an Mbox3 with Protools Express (10.4.3). Found out after that my model computer updated to Mavericks doesn't get audio I/O. And That PT Express doesn't run on Mavericks. AVID have told me the workaround is to either downgrade my OS to Mountain Lion OR install Mountain Lion on my computer partitioned OR install Mountain Lion on a separate drive. I'm leaning towards the separate drive (Seagate portable 1TB). Wondered what you guys thought was the best option? Managing back up is going to be an issue too. Thanks in advance.

2. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

Weird you can't get it to work, although Avid normally state that only 1 OS will work, most things are normally fine. I'm using a digi 002 still with PT11, and thats apparently unsupported- but that didn't stop me track 8 tracks of drums through it yesterday.

How are you authorising PT , through an iLok? Or just having the Mbox3 connected?

3. flyinhigh thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Simon. I'm authorising PT thru an iLok. AVID's workaround is to rollback to 10.8 which I don't want. Trying to get my money back on the purchase sold as compatible with 10.9.

4. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

You said "my model computer updated to Mavericks doesn't get audio I/O". Doesn't sound like Avid's fault so good luck with the refund :p

Mbox 3 IS compatible with Mavericks as well as ProTools 10. Honestly I don't see why it wouldn't work. Make sure you have the latest drivers first.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/download/Mbox-Drivers

5. flyinhigh thread starter macrumors member

AVID Knowledge base:

"While drivers for Avid Interfaces have been updated (or qualified) for use with Mavericks, we have reports of no audio output from interfaces on some 2009-2010 era Core 2 Duo Macs running Mavericks 10.9.x. Interfaces affected include Fast Track family (Fast Track Pro, C600, etc.), Mbox 2 and 3 family, Mobile Pre, Eleven Rack, etc."

The product was sold to me as compatible with OSX 10.9.

6. Morpheo, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

And it is. Except for this particular model. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to defend them or anything, but I guess they're gonna try to put the blame elsewhere first.

Have you searched the duc on this issue? I've just looked a bit and you're not alone...