How best to move ~user to another drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by deboni, Nov 19, 2007.

1. deboni macrumors member

deboni

I'm running out of space on my boot drive, and could benefit from moving one or more of its high-level folders to another external device. I'm thinking of /users (or even ~me), or perhaps /Applications. I can probably figure out how to create a soft link, but it occurs to me that this might not be the optimal way to handle it. Perhaps a mount point might work better, but I'm not sure how to do this under OS X - it doesn't seem to use fstab as I'm used to seeing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Tom DeBoni
    tomdeboni@mac.com

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If your iPhoto or iTunes library are quite large those are generally the easiest to move since both are supported by the apps.

In iTunes tell it in Preferences where your new library should go and then find the consolidate library option. It should copy everything (I don't think it moves it) so then you'll have to delete the old stuff.

For iPhoto just move the iPhoto library and when you open iPhoto it'll ask where it is. Tell it where you moved it to and it'll be there from then on.

3. deboni thread starter macrumors member

deboni

Thank you. That's useful advice. I was hoping for something a little more general, but perhaps that, with some added symlinking, will achieve the desired effect.

Tom