How best to view pic and delete unwanted pic in folder.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by novetan, Sep 24, 2010.

1. novetan macrumors 6502

I gave up and have to pose the question here.

When we download new pictures in Windows and saved in a folder, we simply view it using Window Picture Viewer, scroll along and delete pictures we don't want. Easy and straight forward.

I did the same saving all new pictures in a folder. Then problem arrises:

1) When click the 1st picture to commence viewing, its not able to scroll to the next one. unlike Picture Viewer. So does it mean I have to open up individual pic, close, move cursor to next pic, open, delete unwanted pic, close, move cursor to next ....repeat....repeat.....one by one at a time. That is mind bogging absurd.

2) Then I use space bar and able to scroll forward. When reach the last pic of the row. it stop, Then I have to move cursor down and now scroll backwards. Seems very strange. Its kind of zig-zag manner. And after deleting pic, I have to start all over again instead of continuing from last pic. Again this is crazy.

I haven't really explore iphoto yet but don't tell me to use iphoto to do the job. That means I have to import photos from folder to iphoto and that is double job. Not forgetting there is no "cut and paste" function at right click mouse and that also means duplication.

Surely Mac is meant for graphics and there must be a much easier way than Window Picture Viewer, right?

I almost pull my hair out. Tell me that I'm missing something.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Use List View instead of icon view. Select all the photos and open them in Preview. Use the arrow keys to scroll through them. If you don't want one, press Command + Delete and it will get sent to the Trash.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Select all the pics, then right-click and Open with Preview. Then you can scroll through the pictures and delete the ones you choose.

4. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, thanks for the tips.

But don't understand why Mac institute another step that we have to select first. Life already tough. Can someone tell me what's the logic behind this unnecessary additional steps?

I think its two steps backwards than Window Picture Viewer. So much being a graphic media computer.

5. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Actually, that is what iPhoto was created for -- to organize and display your photos. There is no need to put them on your computer and then inport into iPhoto. You are doing double work. In iPhoto, you can see all photos in an "event" at one time, select the ones you want to delete and then delete them. Easy as pie!

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

And I don't understand why Windows displays the image by default, so I guess that's a wash.

Once again, your personal preference does not mean something is "correct" or "better."

7. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

I totally agreed. But just don't understand why must choose select pic. If we have 2 thousand pic just come back from assignment, isn't it a chore of having to select all in order to ipreview? I mean why just can't follow like Window Preview style. No selection needed? Do we just want another unneccessary step?

iphoto also not meant for everyone taste. So the basic starter still to creat a folder (maybe that's me)

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it's not a "chore". Preview can't read your mind and know which pics you want to review. You may want only a dozen, or only ones with certain filenames or sizes, etc. If it's a "chore" to click once in a folder and press Command+A to select all, then maybe using a computer is too tough for you. After all, there's pointing and clicking and moving the mouse and pressing all those keys in the right order to make words..... such extreme hardship! :rolleyes: