Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pablol

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Berlin
Hi-

I'm looking at the new MBP 13" and 15" primarily for using it with Logic Pro. How big of a deal is the difference in graphics cards (9400m in the 13") and the Pro (9400GT + 9400M)?

Will this really make a difference in performance with Logic and my ability to run more plug-ins and audio tracks simultaneously?

thanks!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Hi-

I'm looking at the new MBP 13" and 15" primarily for using it with Logic Pro. How big of a deal is the difference in graphics cards (9400m in the 13") and the Pro (9400GT + 9400M)?

Will this really make a difference in performance with Logic and my ability to run more plug-ins and audio tracks simultaneously?

thanks!

well, the 9400 is an integrated card - its not very powerful and RAM is shared from the RAM on the computer.

the 9600M GT is a dedicated card, it is MUCH more powerful then the 9400 (like comparing a 4cylinder to an 8) and has its own RAM.

for logic though i dont really see you needing a powerful GPU - CPU wise though the 13" mightnt be powerful enough for you.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
It only matters for games and certain graphics software (Motion, Color, etc)

IN other words, you'll be fine (more than fine) with 9400. I don't notice the difference in graphics performance when I'm using MacBook with GMA 950 (worst integrated graphics known to man lol) and iMac with Radeon 2400 (dedicated, much more powerful) in non-graphics apps. Even in Photoshop there's no difference to my eye.

pablol

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Berlin

OK, but I understood that with Snow Leopard that CPU-intensive tasks could be assigned to the graphics card. Wouldn't that then make a difference, or not really?

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia

OK, but I understood that with Snow Leopard that CPU-intensive tasks could be assigned to the graphics card. Wouldn't that then make a difference, or not really?

First of all, nobody can say for sure how much the speed boost will be and when normal users would experience it (when devs optimize their software)

Secondly, I really can't see how graphics card can help process audio, but I don't really understand all this programming stuff ^^

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.