How big a problem is my really old Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by grnmtn, Nov 18, 2014.

1. grnmtn macrumors newbie

I live in a smallish apartment and use a vintage 2006 Airport Express to keep my iMac, MacBook Air, phone and, occasionally, my TV online. Over the wifi I get download speeds of about 7.5 mps. If, however, I plug the modem's ethernet cable directly into the back of the iMac it leaps to about 53mps.

I'm not a huge tech guy but my common sense tells me the very, very old wireless router is probably the bottleneck.

So here's my question... if I go spend $100 on a brand new 2014 model Airport Express is it going to increase my speed noticeably? For a big jump it's definitely worth it, but if a new router only moves me from 7.5 to, say, 11 that's a closer call.

Thanks for any advice folks can offer.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... you would be going from 802.11g wifi that you have now in the old Express to the newer 802.11n speeds that would easily handle your ~50Mbps Internet speeds.

3. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

Yes, it should be an improvement.
    As best the latest Express (released 2012) can deliver 60-70 Mbps over the 5Ghz band.
    How much of an improvement it gets for you depends on what Wi-Fi capabilities your devices have and how close they are to the Express.
    Even if your devices use the 2.4Ghz band only, I think you will get 30-40 Mbps.

4. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I've seen an Airport go bad and exhibit the behavior you're mentioning.

I'll agree with the others, even if your current Airport isn't malfunctioning, you should see a very nice improvement with the new model.

5. Sherwen macrumors newbie

Airport Express 802.11g can't find wireless network

Hi guys ,

I have a Airport express 802.11g , i am using a older airport utility because the 6.0 plus cannot work on it. once i downloaded the airport utility 5.6.1 i can now find my airport express.

I am trying to make it join a wireless network but it cannot find any networks. which is weird because my phone and iPad is connect to my network fine.. Is this a common problem? anyone have any ideas??
    help please

Sherwen

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What OS are you running the utility on?