How big is leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NewGenAdam, Jul 3, 2008.

1. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

Hi all. I'm considering buying a MacBook Air (hdd over solid state mind, I'm not paying £500 for some possibly battery life decreasing drive!) and I'm trying to figure out how much disk space I'll have out of the box.

So, how big is leopard, and how much of the 80GB will be left (disk space "tax" considered), after Apple has installed leopard et al on it?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

leopard itself by default is 12G.

But a new Mac always has a bunch of pre-installed apps such as iDVD, garageband ect. with a 80G HDD, you will have about 55G when you get the computer.

3. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

7.5GB according to my sources...

As for extra apps, MacBook Airs dont come with many to keep a decent amount of space free, or so I have read.

4. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

55GB sounds about right, and I think I'd live with that.
    And you say that Airs miss out on some Apps? Are these apps downloadable for free, or would you have to pay to get them if not already installed (I'm thinking iDVD and Garage Band, rather than premium stuff like Aperture)

5. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Head and body length is between 90 and 190 cm (35 and 75 in), the tail reaches 60 to 110 cm (24 to 43 in). Shoulder height is 45 to 80 cm (18-31 in). Males are considerably larger than females and weigh 37 to 90 kg (81 to 198 lbs) compared to 28 to 60 kg (62 to 132 lbs) for females

Jks :p

My 120GB HDD had ~100GB left when I first booted Leopard. So I'm saying 20GB (including the 'tax' consideration as you've but it)
    I'd put money on you having 60 - 65GB space left.

Xslimmer is a good app that will save you a few GB (removing PPC files & other languages from Leopard).
    Also, (something I didn't do) if you re-install Leopard as soon as you get it you can choose to only install one language, saving you a few more GBs

6. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, yeh thanks for that.
    I am expecting it to be about 50-60GB at the end. But reinstalling OS and using some software sound like good ideas.
    Thanks!

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What apps? :confused:

8. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

You can save some space by reinstalling leopard, and removing some extra languages and printer drivers. I also removed garageband, saved me another 4gb. iMovie, iDVD and iPhoto are tiny in comparison.

9. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

M$ Office Trial and GarageBand I think, I could be wrong though.