Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
Well we all know the massive size of the G5 heatsink, but I'm just curious as to how big the actual processor is. Is it a lot bigger than say an AMD Processor, or a G3 or G4? My school had a G3 and the chip was tiny. If anyone had any pictures that would be great.. I'm really curious on this one.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
Wow.. that heatsink is massive compared to the processor.. I know the G5 generates a ton of heat.. but why? Thanks for the pics.. :)

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
mikemodena said:
Wow.. that heatsink is massive compared to the processor.. I know the G5 generates a ton of heat.. but why? Thanks for the pics.. :)
you may have noticed they dont have whiny, annoying fans on them like amd's stock coolers. (not sure about intel's) they're passively cooled like that, in addition to the case's big, quiet fans, for quietness.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
mikemodena said:

I think it's just chip design. My guess it was orignally designed to be very fast, and size and heat weren't that big of a concern. It seems like IBM planned poorly for the future, because I remember when it first came out the fans were huge and there was major concerns about overheating. IBM engineers were always fighting an uphill battle with trying to get the G5 cool and into a laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.