How big is the app on ipad on average?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DaQuickPG, Mar 4, 2012.

1. DaQuickPG macrumors member

Will be buying my first ipad and i am curious how big are the apps on the ipad? I am contemplating on what size to get. I do have about 80 apps, among other content, on my 16gb iPhone 4 and still have about 3-4 gigs free. I don't plan on having more than 200-300 songs and a few movies at the time.

2. troop231 macrumors 603

I'd say 30-40MB, but that's by no means accurate. It really depends on the types of apps you're interested in.

3. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Depends on the app. If you're doing a lot of gaming expect the apps to be larger than say, simple utility apps. Just for a frame of reference, NOVA 2 is the largest app I have currently loaded and it clocks in at 1gb. Others are in the 20-100mb range. Once devs add 2x graphics I'd expect the sizes to increase.

4. homeboy macrumors 6502

App sizes differ greatly from just 20MB for news or photo apps that pulls content in from the web, to 200 megabyte for puzzle games and even 800MB for heavier titles.

Capacity is a balancing thing because in reality no-capacity is enough as anyone can fill an iPad if they really wanted to. I have friends with pages and pages of apps in folders but how many of them do they use every day? Possibly only 3-4, most of the time spent on the iPad is in the browser.

But I do have to say that offline data can eat quite a bit of capacity. I had 6 email accounts on my iPad and enjoyed having 2000 stores on the device for quick retrieval and search, surprisingly the email data was in the region of 1-2GB and so was browsing history.

If you're smart about it you could use spotify on the iPad and avoid having songs eating up most of your capacity. I used to own an iPod Touch with 64GB and I managed to fill it before it got stolen, so when I bought a 16GB iPad 2 I was scared that I would struggle but surprisingly I adapted well to the lower capacity and was even wiser too, and stopped impulsively download apps that I would use once and then just keep on the device.

I become more efficient with my capacity.

5. DaQuickPG thread starter macrumors member