How big is the initial disk image?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheBearman, May 28, 2013.

1. TheBearman macrumors 6502

I just ordered a new rMBP arriving in about a week. One thing I'm planning to do is as soon as I get the initial configuration complete I want to save an image. I'll use Carbon Copy so I can quickly set the system to a default. This is something I'll need to put in place should I need to have the machine serviced. I know there are other options but since I'll be using Carbon Copy for regular backup/recovery this seems the best method for me.

So the question. I'd like to save this to a flash drive if the base image size is not excessively large. Does anyone know the amount of disk space used on a brand new rMBP before you install any additional software?

2. fortysomegeek macrumors regular

10.9 GB.
    I have a 2013 2.7, 16GB, 768 rMBP.

The first thing I did with the machine, before even using it was to boot into Target Disk Mode and I cloned it to disk image. The file was 10.9 GB for a virgin factory fresh image.

I've restored that cloned onto a 32GB USB stick. Once you boot the OS and go through the install, reg, user set-up, it will take up 24GB. I think the extra space is used by the hibernation , swap file that is created.

10.9GB is the size disk image you can worry about storing away.

3. TheBearman thread starter macrumors 6502