iPad Pro How big is the jump from the 2017 iPad Pro to the 2018 iPad Pro?

mbrink12

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2017
I used my iPad Pro a good bit while I traveled for school on clinical rotations, but I have not used it much since starting my new job, almost a year later after I graduated. I am looking at starting using my iPad Pro for most of the use outside my home, with my job, on the road, etc. How significant is the jump from the 2017 10.5" iPad Pro to the 11" 2018 iPad Pro? Or Should I wait for the 2019 iPad Pro?

yanksfan114

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
It’s a huge difference, but I’d say if you don’t need it for something specifically, I’d not waste the money upgrading.

Reactions: RevTEG

EugW

macrumors 604
Jun 18, 2017
It's a big jump, but for every day surfing and stuff like that it's not actually that big of a deal IMO in terms of performance. The bigger jumps are the USB-C, the Face ID (esp. if you have a keyboard), and high performance stuff.

The thing is that for regular surfing and OS navigation, the 10.5" feels very fast already, but the 11" feels a bit faster. Probably the fact that 10.5" already has 120 Hz ProMotion helps its general feel, and most pages rendered in Safari aren't really significantly bottlenecked on the 10.5"... yet. In contrast, whereas people say that 10.5" is good for video editing, the 11" feels smooth as butter.

Put it this way, in terms of raw performance, my 10.5" is faster than my 2017 12" MacBook, but the 11" is literally over twice as fast as the 12" MacBook. But the 12" MacBook for surfing already feels quite decent.

Reactions: RevTEG

ericwn

macrumors 68030
Apr 24, 2016
I recommend to browse this forum in more detail as the question has been discussed ever since the latest model was introduced.
I have an older model that I use daily and don’t see a reason to upgrade just yet as for me my device is still more than sufficient.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Having owned both I think the jump is pretty huge. The biggest jump for me is the form factor. I got rid of the first gen 12.9 because it was a touch to big. The new form factor is big, but in all the right ways. Just light enough and small enough to take everywhere. The specs are pretty beastly too.

muzzy996

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
With the additional features pushing the purchase cost up for the newer generation of iPP and the inevitable forking and future advancement of iOS for iPads pushing the envelope further I think it is more prudent for me to just skip the 2018 given my current use case.

I think it’s only natural for those who made the switch to support doing so - after all they already justified their purchase decision when they made it so why should they have any regrets?

Reactions: GrindedDown

EugW

macrumors 604
Jun 18, 2017
With the additional features pushing the purchase cost up for the newer generation of iPP and the inevitable forking and future advancement of iOS for iPads pushing the envelope further I think it is more prudent for me to just skip the 2018 given my current use case.

I think it’s only natural for those who made the switch to support doing so - after all they already justified their purchase decision when they made it so why should they have any regrets?
I have the 10.5”. Yes the jump to the 11” is big in many ways. But since I already have the 10.5”, I’ll just wait until the next 11”.

BTW, I bought the 10.5” a few months ago because it was inexpensive. The 11” doesn’t usually go on sale here in Canada and is horrendously expensive at full price.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexJoda

AutomaticApple

macrumors 68020
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I used my iPad Pro a good bit while I traveled for school on clinical rotations, but I have not used it much since starting my new job, almost a year later after I graduated. I am looking at starting using my iPad Pro for most of the use outside my home, with my job, on the road, etc. How significant is the jump from the 2017 10.5" iPad Pro to the 11" 2018 iPad Pro? Or Should I wait for the 2019 iPad Pro?
It’s a pretty big deal. :)