How big is the watch app marked?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by Der Keyser, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Der Keyser macrumors member

Der Keyser

There seems to be very little dev interest in AW considering the limited amount of quality apps.
    Anoher indicator is the very limited support and maintenance being done on already published apps.

Just how "big" is this marked? Does anyone know and are willing to publish how many copies of fairly usable and popular watch apps have been sold? Is it just hundreds or are we in the thousands of copies? With the little interest being shown online the number "hundreds of thousands" only seems possible for a few very high profile fitness apps.

Maybe one should try ones luck on this marked :)
    It seems underexploited - I mean basic apps we all would expect to be ready are still not available. Examples: wireless sync and native playback of podcasts, wireless sync and native playback of musik, and so on.

2. igrover macrumors regular

igrover

From my understanding of the situation from app developers there were two factors involved in lackluster Apple Watch app activity: 1. Apple Watch OS1 had so many restrictions and incomplete developer accessible APIs as to make it extremely difficult to create apps and 2. Developers are not able to charge separately for an Apple Watch app so they are basically giving the watch app away for free.

Can't say I really blame them. While watch OS3 has been opened up for devs they still cannot charge for the separate watch app. Unless of course they create a totally separate iOS app including the watch app and go in that direction (if they can even do that).

3. Der Keyser thread starter macrumors member

Der Keyser

Couldn't they just make the apple watch features incomplete unless you make an in-app purchase?
    But yes, I agree with your analysis - Apple really shot themselves in the foot with the OS1 and to some extend OS2 release. It's a major uphill struggle to rekindle dev support now.

4. Der Keyser thread starter macrumors member

Der Keyser

As a side note... the very low number of postings on this app forum says it all I think.
    The 3'rd party app scene for AW is very nearly dead

5. dallison13 macrumors regular

I agree with you, however i think most people that I know who have AW just use the native apps. Many have downloaded some but rarely use them at all. Even myself, as a self described power user, prefer most of the 1st party apps. So I could see why the dev market for watch apps would be weak. I'm not sure if that speaks to the popularity of the watch, however, as I think it's still a relatively popular item.

6. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

I'm a little confused here.

What would determine a "1st party application", Apple?
    Should we align the App Market (not marked) for WatchOS with premium applications?
    e.g.
    Banks,
    Fitness/Health
    Reminders,
    Security,
    Maps/Directions
    Amber Alert - decent potential here (discrete way to communicate sightings and have a police triagulate direction/etc of the perpetrator)

I think developers may need to redefine their applications value add for the need for a watch up:
    Games: high score challenges etc.

7. Der Keyser thread starter macrumors member

Der Keyser

Well, after monitoring the supply of new apps and apps updated properly for Watch OS3 I think it's fairly safe to say that apple watch has failed as a third party app platform (fitness apps excluded).

Absolutely nothing is happening
    I guess that's the end of my dreams of my watch doing wireless sync of music and podcast for untethered use....

8. pbird macrumors newbie

I have not tried it but from the description this new app does seem to be able to sync and play untethered.

https://appsto.re/nl/kTWXfb.i

9. Der Keyser thread starter macrumors member

Der Keyser

What the he** is wrong with the search feature on the app store. If I search on "watch player" this app isn't returned in the results at all. I have to search on the developers name to find it. There is some sort of priority/payed advertising/policy thing going on that prevents small apps from even being found on the app store...

So I guess Apple has done like all the other money focused giants have.. Let the dollar speak - leave all else behind :-(

10. chuyn macrumors 6502

You seem to have a grudge or just looking too deep into things.. searched just fine for me..

Attached Files: