how big is too big?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waywardsage, Sep 24, 2008.

1. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

I know there are many of us who want a 32GB or 64GB iPhone. But at what size does it become difficult because you have too much junk on it? I have an 80GB iPod and its almost impossible to navigate through all my 40GB of music and 15GB of video. I find myself not using it because i have to hunt for a song for several minutes.

Could a 32GB or 64GB+ iPhone be a mixed blessing?

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I don't think that there really is a limit if a person has organized their library. If I had 40GB in my library, and it all was completely organized and not just thrown together from limewire or another place with missing information and album art, then it wouldn't be all that difficult to get through a library. I think that it becomes unmanageable or self-defeating when the user lets their library get out of hand, not by the size of the library.

3. quikadanquik macrumors member

I feel like something could never really be too big
    with the addition of on the go playlists a while ago if you find yourself looking for songs that aren't in any of your playlists you can easily add them

4. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Use the search if it takes you that long.

5. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

It depends on the search mechanism. I have no trouble locating music in my iTunes library thanks to its real-time search. If I had to scroll, though, that would be a completely different story.

6. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

I'm thinking a 3G 32gig iPhone will do for me (currently have the 2G 8gig). Had a 60gig iPod Photo filled up. iTunes collection used to be in the 100gig range, but now at ~30gig (trimmed down due to hard drive failure :( and haven't re-ripped my 400+ CDs).

I use the bare bones approach with music for iTunes. Turn off all the options for browsing the music, save for genre and artist. Don't have much of a problem finding anything. Old school, but it works for me.

I wish the iPhone had the capability of doing all the menu setups like the iPod I had. Could really find what I wanted fast with just the Artists menu. I hate CF....wish it could be turned off.

7. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

9. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

While I understand that there is no such thing as too much storage, 16 gb for me is more than enough.

What other phones out there have 16gb internal memory??

10. ZDDP1273 macrumors 6502

I have probably 30+ GB of music on my computer and my regular iPod, but I don't even listen to 10% of it. There's no point in me carrying around that much music that I know I'm never going to get through.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

True dat.

There will never ever ever be "too much storage" on any portable media device. The point about organization is a very good one, but the iPhone/iPod touch OS does a great job of letting you maneuver through your media.

I did have this problem a bit on my old iPod. I had 15GB of songs, but that click-wheel interface was really designed for about what the iPod nano holds. I always had to go to a playlist or find an entire album to listen to. I have about 5+GB of music on my 8GB iPhone, and it's much easier to find what I want. The bigger display allows more info on the screen, and the variety of easy-to-switch filters (playlists, albums, songs, artists, genres, videos, etc.).

The issue I see a lot of people not really addressing is video. That's where most of the extra storage will be used. At DVD quality, a two-hour movie takes up about 1GB of disk space. I want DVD quality so I can have a decent playback on my computer and not need separate files. As compact processing gets better, HD video will be usable on the iPods and iPhones, allowing all video to be sold in higher-quality formats.

Don't forget about photos. I used to keep some photos on my iPhone to show family and friends. Now, I have ditched them so I can put apps and video on it.

So there is no such thing as too much space. I just hope a 64GB iPhone will get here darn quickly so I can justify an upgrade.

12. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

I have an 160GB iPod and its so easy and simple to navigate through all my 60GB of music and 90GB of video.

I think the problem here is organization. Plus if you can't remember an artist who made the song etc, you can just search.

13. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I believe the Samsung Omnia has 16 Gb. For me 16 GB is also enough for my needs. I wouldn't complain if 128 GB came out some day though. I can see the complaint threads now: Apple screwed us again by providing too much memory!!!!

14. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

A: Depends on the girl.

Some girls like the 8GB, and some want the 256GB. :D

15. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

*cough*bill gates*cough*

LMAO

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I know it's been attributed to him, but I was under the impression that that was just a myth.

If it's right, it makes perfect sense, though.

17. mkaake macrumors 65816

Between Genius (which I thought was stupid - until I tried it), and the UI of the iPhone / iPod Touch, I don't think having too much storage would be an issue. It's pretty easy to navigate through everything you've got.

And again, as I eluded to a moment ago, with Genius, I find myself navigating through my songs a whole lot less than I used to...

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That's what she said. ;)

19. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

That's fckin funny :D

Reminds me of the old Dom Joly skits... "HELLO??!!"

20. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Have a 16GB iPhone, and am already down to <3GB free.

I buy 50 songs a month through my eMusic subscription, so I'm running out fast. Add to that I probably am adding 100MB or so of apps every month..

Wish I had a 32GB iPhone! :eek:

21. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Touche Spaz, touche. I'm glad I read the whole thread before I posted it. I figured someone hit it already.

22. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

And touché... I've been waiting for someone to respond to my comment. I love The Office... best show ever... and I'm glad it's back on iTunes.... at least for now.

23. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

For me no such thing as big enough storage.

All my music / videos are completely organized so no issues finding what I'm looking for.

24. robynbrock84 macrumors newbie

curb your enthusiasm

im so happy that curb your enthusiasm if finally on itunes...funny show