How big is Wi-Max ... worth the wait??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cavalier, Mar 5, 2008.

  1. Cavalier macrumors newbie

    Feb 26, 2008
    I've settled on Backbook, which suits me great. Like everyone, I'm trying to decide whether to wait for the next June/July update, which will likely be the same price, and include 3 new things:

    - Slightly better (not necessarily faster) processor.
    - Possibly inherit the MacAir's lighted keyboard & gesture control.
    - And will have Wi-max capability.

    I don't think anyone is projecting a new case design, though MBP might get one (which I would wait for).

    So of all the expected changes, Wi-max is the only one that really intrigues me. How big will that be to mobile computing? How long until it's common place in cities?
  2. izibo macrumors 6502

    Oct 6, 2004
    To be honest, while you may get slight speed bump with the next revision, I highly doubt you will see WiMax or a lighted keyboard in upcoming MacBooks.

    The lighted keyboard capabilities have been in the MacBook Pros since before the move to Intel. They have had more than a few years to incorporate them in to the MacBooks which they haven't. I think this a "pro" feature that they will only incorporate into their pricier machines. I would make the same argument regarding the gestures capabilities since Apple did not include them with the most recent MacBook update.

    Regarding WiMax, I think it will happen, someday. But again, this will go into the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro way earlier than the MacBooks.

    Bottom line: buy your machine now and be happy. If you really want to wait, you can, but don't expect anything more than modest speed improvements, a slightly bigger HD, and a free iPod if you are student (Apple usually gives away free iPods via rebate during the summer months).
  3. Cavalier thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 26, 2008

    I was prepared to live without the gesture control & lighted keyboard, and I can see Apple wanting to keep the upper elements of style/art in the Air & (eventually) the Pro (very overdue for a case redesign).

    But I'm not waiting for a new processor that is 10% more efficient, and I won't wait if wi-max is still 2+ years off from taking the field & opening up the world of distributed cloud computing.
  4. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

    Jan 3, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    If you really care about this level of laptop expandability, go with a MBP, because they come with Express Card slots. I'm sure as soon as WiMAX is widely available, there will be Express Cards for it.
  5. izibo macrumors 6502

    Oct 6, 2004
    WiMAX is still a ways off. Buying a MacBook Pro just so you can get expandability to upgrade for something that has yet to even pan out is a bit silly if you ask me. Heck, you could sell your MacBook in two years, buy a new one with WiMAX and have a better machine as opposed to a 2 year old MBP with an express card slot.

Share This Page