Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2004
I just noticed that my iPhoto application (not my library, just the app itself) is 614.4 megs!!!!

WTF?!?!

That's 10 times larger than Photoshop.

WTF??!?!?

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
hmmm. Mine's ~160 MB (iPhoto 5, OS X 10.3).

I though maybe it had to do with iPhoto's own trash, but after opening the program and emptying the trash, there was no change in the program's size.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
albums, smart albums, books and merchandise, slideshows, sharing, I guess the code for all that starts to add up. iLife overall is pretty massive from what one would think.

oceanmonster

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
It is because when you edit a photo in iPhoto it saves two copies of it the original and the edited one in separate folders. incase your edit looks bad you can control click the photo and hit revert to original or show original.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
It is because when you edit a photo in iPhoto it saves two copies of it the original and the edited one in separate folders. incase your edit looks bad you can control click the photo and hit revert to original or show original.

We arent talking about library size, unless your saying the code to enable that is alot.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
That's 10 times larger than Photoshop.
Make sure you check the Photoshop folder, not just the binary. iPhoto carries its supporting goodies inside its bundle. Oh, and don't forget Bridge (since Photoshop alone really doesn't do what iPhoto does) and the Adobe folders under /Library.

For more fun, look at how much bigger PS CS3 has become, and that doesn't even have stuff like help files yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.