How big of a partition should I make?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by calbear93, May 18, 2011.

1. calbear93 macrumors newbie

I'm getting a MacBook Pro with a 320GB hard drive. I'm thinking about putting Windows 7 on it. I might use it for schoolwork just in case I don't feel like I can be productive on Mac OS X. I might also use it to download movies and stuff like that. So how big of a partition should I make in it? I don't even know how much space the Windows OS itself takes so if anyone could explain that, that would be helpful too!

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Windows 7 itself takes about 10GB plus:
    • Hibernation file that's 75 percent of the total physical memory (you can choose to disable Hibernation and only use Sleep)
    • Pagefile that's the size of the total physical memory + 1MB (you can also change this, most people don't need a 4-8GB Pagefile :p)

So if you had 8GB of RAM that would be 10,240MB + 6,144MB + 8,193MB = 24GB
    In this case, 40GB would be a safe size for a Windows Partition (This would leave you with 16GB for Your Files & System Restore)

If you were to disable Hibernation, Shrink the Pagefile to 2GB and disable System Restore
    That would be 10,240MB + 2,048MB = 12.2GB
    Now you only need a 20GB Windows Partition (This would leave you with 7.8GB free for Your Files)

If it were me, I would give the Windows partition 80-100GB, Disable Hibernation/System Restore and set the Pagefile to 3GB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Restore
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_mode
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernation_(computing)

3. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

I have about 70gb for windows. Its filled with CoD 4 MW, CoD MW2, CoD BlackOps, Portal2, Skype and nothing else except whats included in the installation... And i have about 5gb left...

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

At least 100 GB if you download a lot of stuff and use windows as the primary OS. Windows 7 takes up ~10-15 GB, plus apps might take another 5 GB.

5. GrantMeThePower macrumors regular

I've disabled both hibernation and system restore. Only program installed is firefox. I have 12 gb of ram. The partition for win 7 is 55 gb

I only have 27 gb left, which means that just win7 is taking up 28 gb?!!

What's up with this?

6. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Bootcamp itself takes up some space. I just installed Win7 today, they're forgetting the OSX drivers, files, and extra stuff.

I made a partition for 210GB, installed Win7 which took me to 195. Then installed all of the necessary drivers and that took me to 171GB. Your numbers seem fine.

7. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Did you even read my post?

You have a 12GB Pagefile and a 9GB Hibernation file (and also some System Restore backups).

Windows itself is only using 10ish GB.

The BootCamp driver package only uses around 500MB.

8. Mac.Enthusiast macrumors newbie

calbear93,
    I commend you to allocate 100 of your 320 GB -- it should enough for the Win7 itself, a few app suites, and for documents.

9. GrantMeThePower macrumors regular

I did read your post. It helped me save a lot of space. That is why i said i disabled both hibernation and system restore. I checked to make sure that the hibernation file was also deleted.

I tried to change the page file to a custom size but I couldnt find any answers on how to do it safely and what should be the starting size.

There are no system restore backups after i disable system restore, right? It says it is now set to use 0mb of hard drive.

i dont see what i missed on your post.

10. Quad5Ny, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Sorry. :( For some reason when I read your post I skipped the first sentence.

Also are you sure the partition is 55GB? OS X and Windows report space differently. (In Snow Leopard 1GB is 953.67432MB | In Windows 1GB is 1,024MB)

______________________________________________________________________________________________

______________________________________________________________________________________________

[​IMG]

This is my Windows 7 x64 SP1 install after doing all those steps.
    (I have 8GB of RAM and keep Programs/Games on a separate partition).​

11. GrantMeThePower macrumors regular

No worries, dude. Thank you so much for posting all of those instructions. That's a big help for me, and I'm sure to a lot of other people as well. Might be worth a mod creating a sticky of just that for people that made their partition too small and want to make as much room as possible.

I didn't know that they counted GB differently! I'm new to the Mac world. I had set it to 55GB in OSX for the initial partition, but now i see that it is less in windows. What a pitb! haha. I could use that space! Thats a gig right there.

Bottom line is I shouldn't have been so stingy with space in the first place, but your tips really helped me.