How breakable is the 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by atljogger, Jul 9, 2009.

1. atljogger macrumors member

I am looking at my first iphone (3GS) but am worried about how delicate this thing will be? I have a bad habit of being rough on my cells phones, especially dropping them from time to time. Will the 3G stand up to a few dings here and there? I really do not want to buy a thick bulky case b/c I carry my phone in my pocket. I am thinking about the Speck Candy Shell to protect back and maybe just a screen skin protector for the front.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's fine, but coming on these forums you're going to get all kinds of answers, and I wouldn't be surprised if many are negative. Just letting you know. You can look through all the threads about screen cracks, case cracks, etc. Make up your own mind after reading all those.

3. JohnFa macrumors regular

All iPhones are kinda delicate. Excessive dropping is not encouraged, but it does handle a few very good. Unless you manage to crack the screen, then you have a problem.

Oh, and skin protector, like a protective shield, is enough. The screen doesn't get scratched easily, but the back does. Although, I don't really mind it and it doesn't show unless you really care about scratches.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I thought I might add, since the OP didn't say, that it all depends on how critical (I could say OCD) you are about anything not exactly perfect. If you're fairly reasonable (and I'm not saying anything about those who have to have perfection) then the iPhone is fine. I also have mine in a flip case, so it's protected fairly well if I was ever to drop it.

5. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

This is how breakable it is. If that will never happen to you, a case should protect it from your butterfingers.

6. atljogger thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I will look search for threads on it. For the front, I was just going to go with Bodyguardz cover and the Candy Shell case for the back. That case did not seem to bulky anyways.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You know when you take...
    ...A ball peen hammer?
    Yeah...and then you grab...
    ...an icepick?
    Yeah...and you like...
    ...beat the iPhone to its component pieces?
    Yeah!

I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS.

Seriously...the i phone is like any other smartphone: VERY expensive per square inch, and if you drop it from standing height, or sit on it wrong, or go swimming with it - you will have an expensive paperweight. You can wrap it in all sorts of cases to increase impact resistance. At the end of the day, however, no electronic gadget is indestructable.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That was hilarious! Based on that there are a number of people on here that maybe should not buy an iPhone. I mean, all those scratches!!! :rolleyes:

9. atljogger thread starter macrumors member

hmm...i actually sell blenders for a living so this might be a problem.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I have a Hurley case (it's actually for a touch but fits fine....have to cut a whole for the camera) that I got from Best Buy (they have nothing for iPhones that are flip cases and are not for females).

11. Mugambo macrumors 6502

Mugambo

Speck candy shell or Incase hard shell slider case

and

Screen protector should be good to keep your phone from falling apart from usual wear and tear

12. samcraig macrumors P6

OOOH be careful you don't accidentally trip the blender sensor strip!

13. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

If you are rough on cell phones, you will need to change your habits when you get the iPhone 3GS. While the iPhone is not extremely delicate, it can be broken easily. The screen is glass and will break. The internal parts are small and will malfunction when physically damaged. Simply put, if you drop it, expect damage.

I tried all kinds of ways to protect my iPhone. My final resolution was to simply handle it with care.

14. jaycarroll macrumors regular

Ha! Not relevant... that was a 1st Gen iPhone. ;)

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Does anyone have pictures of this blender sensor? I looked on the Apple website and all I could find were pics of the water sensors. Perhaps I should start a new thread, "Where are the Blender Sensors?"

16. samcraig macrumors P6

Well - the problem is - the water sensor and blender sensor are one and the same. Those people complaining that they haven't had ANY water come in contact with their iphone yet see it tripped? Notice they say NOTHING about contact with blenders. Pretty sneaky of them for that omission!

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

My friend just accidentally dropped his iPhone in a blender. Do you think if he paints the sensor white that he can get a replacement (so as to fool the Genius)? Oh, and the shards of the iPhone case had 2 mm cracks on them. This was definitely a manufacturer defect, which caused the iPhone to shatter into a million pieces, since I think it should've been able to withstand the blending if it didn't have these cracks. So, I think Apple should replace this. Oh, and I forgot to mention, his iPhone was in a case.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Was the phone jailbroken or unlocked? Because if it was, there's no way to restore it before going back to the Apple Store which would nullify the warranty.

If he didn't jailbreak or unlock the phone I would say he has a good chance as long as he can glue it together and still identify where the cracks were

19. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

There is a 3G video on there too. I don't think 3GS yet though... I'm waiting for it!

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, not jailbroken or unlocked. So, he's lucky there. Are there any videos on how to piece together the iPhone? Perhaps, he should just buy a case and then put all the pieces inside? I'm just wondering if the Genius will be able to tell.

21. analytical44 macrumors regular

+1 on the Incase Slider and the screen protector. The slider saved my 3G from at least 2 would be fatal falls. The anti-glare screen protector from the apple store (forget brand) was also crucial for preventing scratches. Without a case, you always need to exercise caution; I want to enjoy my phone, not have it be a burden. With the Slider, I have no worries.

22. samcraig macrumors P6

Well then I'm afraid the Genius might say that the case was at fault and not swap it out. Your friend might be able to get away with buying a cheap HiPhone and trying to return that. Just have him paint the sensors where they need to go on that!

23. crisg macrumors member

24. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

We'll see. He's already returned 5 that wouldn't blend. I think Apple should improve their cases, so this kind of thing doesn't happen. Obviously, this is a manufacturer defect.