How bright is the MacBook screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tomthedude, May 24, 2008.

1. tomthedude macrumors member

tomthedude

On most of the pictures and videos I have seen of the MacBook, the screen doesn't look too bright. Can anyone say how bright it is when you are actually using one?
    -Tom-

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The biggest problem with the MacBook's screen is the limited viewing angles. It is bright enough to use outdoors in sunlight though.

3. tomthedude thread starter macrumors member

tomthedude

Oh so you mean you can only see it best when the screen is tilted at a certain angle?
    -Tom-

4. jbarr macrumors regular

Side-by-side with an Acer TravelMate 2420 (a fairly low-end Windows PC) the MacBool is VERY bright, very crisp, and the overall "distribution" of light across the screen is very even.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Viewing angle vertically is about normal, side-to-side isn't great but it's very bright and certainly nice to use.

The LED screens in the MBA and MBP are certainly much better but I would expect that for the extra cash.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's my experience over the past 6 months. ;)

I can't wait for a MacBook with an improved screen but I did pay a heck of a lot less then a MacBook Pro.

7. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Yup, the MacBook's screen has a very narrow vertical sweet spot. I find myself adjusting the screen angle frequently... I tend to slouch. I find the brightness is very sufficient. I normally run it at one or two blocks as indicated in the bezel popup.

8. asme macrumors regular

Bright initially but after a year mine has degraded to half of its initial brilliance.

I expect the backlight to fully burn out the day after my Applecare expires.

9. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Mine's dimmed somewhat since I got it in July 2006, but it's still brighter than my iBook (which has gotten only light use since then).

10. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

I've found it to be very bright - in some cases, too much. . I usually have to tint the screen somewhat.

11. pedro nicoli macrumors member

The newer macbook's screen are realy bad! i have one and i just have to learn how to live with it. it`s terrible fot watching movies cos its view angle sucks, and the black portion of the screen looks awful!
    i had my lcd calibrated with Spyder Express and it helped a lot in matter of colors and color accuracy, but it still has verry low contrast ratio. depending on the degrade colors u see, it cant reproduce all tones, instead it show big chunks of colors.....
    apple has done a veeery bad choice this time....

12. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I've had a new MB for a month. I had to turn the brightness down considerably
    compared to my old ibook. It is VERY bright at max setting.

But new MB's are rumored to be out in June, probably with the new LED
    backlit screens.

13. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

14. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

It's beautiful!! Brings tears to my eyes :(

Cheers.
    :apple::)