How bright until your keyboard light turns off?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 7ewis, Nov 16, 2013.

1. 7ewis macrumors newbie

Wasn't too sure how to word the title, but how bright does your room need to be before your rMBP keyboard light turns it's self off?

I'm in a fully lit room with around 10 bulbs in the ceiling and about 12 LED's, yet my keyboard light hasn't turned off.

The only way I can seem to get it to turn off is to use my phone's very bright camera flash light and hold it less than a meter away from the sensor.

How sensitive should it be?

2. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem. In Mavericks, the “Illuminate keyboard in low light conditions” checkbox has disappeared, and the new “Adjust keyboard brightness in low light” checkbox does the exact opposite: it makes the backlighting dimmer in the dark and brighter in the light.

I checked on my old MBP to see if I could figure out a Terminal command to toggle the old setting, but I was unable to find one. Notably, no files appeared to change when the checkbox was toggled.

3. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Sound like it's working exactly like it should.

Getting dimmer in dark to avoid being distracting, and getting brighter when the ambient light gets brighter. After a certain point it makes no sense to try to compete with bright ambient light, so the backlight will turn off.

I've only ever noticed the backlight turning off outdoors.

4. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

Sure, if you want the backlight on when you’re in a normal well-lit room, you might consider it working properly. The real issue is there’s no apparent control over the threshold, and it is set far too high by default.

5. 7ewis thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe it may also be a problem though.

I had returned a Mac before this one, and in my room under a light it would usually turn off, but this one doesn't turn off unless I hold it closer to a light, or shine one directly at it.

I'm under a 'feature light' right now, which has 5 lights and loads of LEDs all very close together, that alone isn't enough to make the keyboard light turn off...

The battery on this does seem slightly worse than before too, so I'm thinking this could be the problem?