How burn a disc containing music and copy protecting it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Serenity64, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Serenity64 macrumors newbie

Hi!

Long time reader, first time poster here. I wasn't really sure where to place this thread so mod feel free to move it if you want.

Anyway, to my question. I create my own music and sometimes people ask if they can have it on a CD. Since I really do not want people to be able to rip it to their computer's I have denied these requests. However as the demand apparently grows and more people start asking I feel that I would really want to be able to share my music with them, securely. What I would like to do is burn a cd containing my music that people cant rip. I know there will always be some way of doing it, but fore the average computer user preventing mediaplayer/itunes from being able to rip the music will be enough to keep them from doing it.

Can I do this on my mac, and if so, what software do I need? If you need any more information just ask:)

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If your goal is to enable more people to listen to your music, why are you wanting to burn it to a CD anyways?

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

See this thread for some ideas. I don't think you'll find good cheap solutions though, and existing DRM technologies simply don't work that well as you can bypass all of them with varying levels of effort.

4. Serenity64 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see where you're getting at but even though that is my goal, at the moment I feel I want to be able to control who has access to it. This is mainly because people have "stolen" (correct term?) my music before and passed it along as their own. In the end I appeared to be the bad guy. So until I figure out how I want to do with this "career" (I mainly do it for fun) I want to share it without losing it.

5. Serenity64 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link. I checked it but the problem is it would prevent people from playing it in regular cd players etc.

When you buy a cd at a local store they are often copy protected (at least here) so copying it to a local drive can be very complicated. This is what I am after but maybe it is a costly solution as you say.:(

6. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

All of your music should be copyrighted... after that... why not create a website with your music clips on it.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true. I've ripped almost every CD I've ever bought into my iTunes library. I've never seen a commercial CD that couldn't easily be ripped by iTunes.

8. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Exactly, I've ripped every cd I've owned with iTunes... noproblemo.

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I believe the OP may be referring to things like what Sony tried a while back, and that didn't actually even work on Macs. That didn't work out well for Sony though.

This is one DRM "solution" that I found. I am not endorsing them (I actually don't like the look of them), they were simply the first I came across. I'm pointing to it as a point of reference for the potential pricing that you will run into, which is a bit expensive, but there are higher priced ones.

10. Serenity64 thread starter macrumors newbie

xlii: That is a good idea actually. Might consider this.

Regarding the copy protection; Of course some cds are easy to rip but I have come across quite many which, when played on a computer open a special player to play the music. Maybe it is more common here (Sweden) I dont know. Maybe I am somewhat outdated in that section though, I haven't bought cds for some time..

angelwatt: That is what I am referring to, Im not sure if it was that specific brand, but it worked like that.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I have a few of those albums in my library, but I bought them after the recall, so they didn't have XCP on them. I do remember hearing about that fiasco, though.

12. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Serenity64 I live in denmark but I have bought quite a few CDs in both Sweden and Denmark and iTunes could rip them easily so I don't think there is an additional protection. At least for mac people

13. Serenity64 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's strange. Maybe what I encountered was just some trial software/test version. Or as a previous poster linked to, the sony bmg copy protection. I was a windows user at that time when they tried that so I wouldnt have noticed if it was mac compatible or not.:eek:

14. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Why don't you upload your songs to YouTube and tell them to stream it or maybe put them into the iTunes store somehow and tell them to buy it.

15. Fishrrman macrumors G3

If you can _play_ music on the Mac, you can _copy_ it.

It's as simple as that.

.... IF you know how to do it.

And if there are people out there who want to steal your music, they probably know about such tricks.

If you REALLY want others to "hear your music", sign onto something like CDBaby, etc., and stop worrying about it.

16. bhattsan macrumors member

I think your best bet it to host your own site and have a flashplayer play the mp3s. This will ward off most people from getting your songs while having them enjoy them :D

17. UpDownAeroplane macrumors member

i hope you realize that either way, someone is going to get pass the DRM and your music will be downloaded illegally. it's something you have to accept. you're not even selling this music, so relax about the whole thing.:rolleyes: