How can anyone tolerate Google?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dontwalkhand, Nov 23, 2010.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Everyone seems to love a little company called Google. Everyone thinks they are so amazing, and that they are the end of all companies, and every company should emulate Google. I guess I am one of the first to say, I HATE GOOGLE WITH A PASSION.

Let me get started:

Google Apps for Business
    I was helping a client migrate from Microsoft Exchange to Google Apps for business. $50 a user, sounds great and all. There were going to be a total of ten users on the system, which came out to be a total of $500.

We got a username and password and were invited to login. Great! Unfortunately, the username and password did not work. After you spent $500 with a company, you would expect something reasonable like, say, customer service.

I had to hunt down for some type of phone number, and came across the phone number for Google's headquarters, and the operator was able to transfer me to Google App's Tech support.

Here is how this went:
    ME: I am not able to login, can you please help me out?
    GOOGLE: Can I please have your Customer Support PIN?
    ME: Where do I obtain that?
    GOOGLE: You must login to obtain your support PIN.
    ME: But I can't login.
    GOOGLE: I am sorry, but we are not able to help you without your support PIN. I am not allowed to continue any further with you, have a good day!
    *Hung up on by Google*

OK, that is not all, let's try their email support, since we paid over $500 with the company, they should respond within a reasonable timeframe, correct?...TWO WEEKS LATER, and NOTHING.

OUR SOLUTION: Dispute the charge with Google with the bank, get the money back, and then try to re-sign up for the service....I shouldn't have to do this in order to get something we spent $500 on!

MORE Problems with Google Apps: The domain was registered using eNom. eNom provided Google with their own login page, separate from their normal one. We try to edit our Domain Names setting, and we get "Server Error, Please try again later"...for the past two days. Great service Google!

Google Sync
    I have setup Google sync with my Mac, and my iPhone. It worked great for a few weeks, and then out of the blue, it stopped working. Every time I added a contact on my iPhone, Gmail & the Apple Address Book would not show any new adds. Calendar appointments would get messed up fast, and duplicates would show up, or not show up at all. So far, there was still no solution to this problem. I just switched to MobileMe.

Google AdWords
    We setup a basic AdWords account with $100 to start off with advertising in the Phoenix area. We tried to put up an ad, and they promised us that within a few hours to a few days, we should be able to see our ads come up. We did the a search on ourselves using some of the keywords we have placed into Google AdWords. NOTHING, NADA. So once again, just like Google Apps, we had to do a little hunting for the phone number. Nothing turned up, so we again, decided to call the Google HQ.

ME: I am calling to inquire about my Google AdWords account.
    GOOGLE: Can we have your account number?
    ME: Here is my account number #######
    GOOGLE: I am sorry, but your account does not include customer service, we are not able to help you. Goodbye!

HOW DOES ANYONE IN THE WORLD PUT UP WITH GOOGLE?This company has screwed us over time and time again! Here was our solution to each problem we had:

Google Apps for Business: We had to re-sign up for another account, with another domain, once we finally fixed the sign in problem (by getting a new account), we called customer service, now that we have a Support PIN, and had them transfer the domain from the non-working account over. Because of the run-around, we use Google Apps for Business ONLY for E-Mail. (Setup for a client).

Google Sync: Apple's $99 MobileMe Service. It may not be free like Google Sync, but at least the thing works. It has gone as far as me not even using my personal GMail account anymore, and forwarding anything from that to my new MobileMe account.

Google AdWords: We hired an SEO guy, and just stopped using AdWords.

I will never, ever, recommend Google or any of their services again!, Not even GMail!

2. Rodimus Prime, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

by my guess it looks like you all tried to go cheap and you got what you paid for.
    My guess is 50 per year per user is getting off fairly cheap. The others seems about the same.

3. angelneo macrumors 68000

I think you shouldn't keep emphasizing that you spend 500 whole dollars per year for an enterprise email system, and to be fair to the enterprise tech support, they need to have a way to verify you are a valid user, otherwise, they can't help you much.

4. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Shouldn't that be something they could look up when we COULDN'T LOGIN to begin with? Also for a small business this was a lot of money to the client.

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I like their search engine. And Google Docs is handy at times. As is Google Maps.

6. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I've had mostly good experience with google apps, gmail, adwords, and analytics. I have had one issue with them regarding some keywords and getting a hold of someone, but it is what it is....Google is the king of search.

And $100 for adwords!? Seriously!?!??! You need more than that to get started. It sounds like you don't have a good handle on SEO and PPC campaigns. It's not an easy thing to break into, and takes time to figure out.

If you get a handle on the SEO business and optimize your PPC campaigns, you can see very healthy returns. Start researching.

EDIT: Google Apps is FREE up to 50 users. Why are you paying????

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, there are some MacRumors members who have had MobileMe issues (both technical and support-in-general) that make your Google issues look like nothing.

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Google is the devil. Period. But you knew I'd say that. :p

9. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Wait, you paid for 10 users ? Google Apps is free for up to 50 users... :rolleyes:

I think that's your problem right there. I set up my domain e-mail using the free edition, it took all of 5 minutes, and it works like a charm.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use their search engine and android OS. I don't even use their emails, nor their apps. Its not that I don't tolerate google, just that I prefer my documents to be private and my emails to be private. I don't like the idea of google scanning them.

The price for their free stuff is too high for me.

11. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

As if there's a viable alternative. Yahoo!?:rolleyes: Bing?:rolleyes::D:D Google is pretty much the only game in town there.

So you subscribe to the "Anything free is never cheap" school of thought to, eh?:cool: That makes two of us.:)

12. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I use Bing. I hated it when it debuted, but after blind tests, I chose results from Bing over Google and Yahoo by like 2 to 1. I really don't know why Bing gets a bad rap. It's not feature-rich, but it's a very good search engine.

13. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Can you import from MS Exchange with the free edition? Because we have tried and it didn't work, we were forced to pay.

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Google and their AdSpam is the world's leader in delivering unwanted content.

How come AdSpam Ads are not shown on their own Google sites? They then try to come across as AdSense being a big revenue stream to trick people into cluttering their websites with AdSpam.

Google street view cars were caught downloading people's personal information resulting in Lawsuits

Anything you search with Google always brings up stuff from 1997 and older. What no current information?

When they say there are 1 million results for so called searches ... how do you even get to page 1000 ... page by page?

I remember when a search engine would bring back results if there was a website you were searching. With Google you have to embed their Google code right into your website or they will just scan right over it as if it was not even on the web.

Google has basically become useless ... unless you are looking for the same old Ebay, Amazon, or stuff like NexTag.

Count me as an Anti-Vote for Google and AdSpam :cool: