Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMule

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
I've bought 2 screen protectors from them for 2 different iPhones. They're all the same: a mess to put on, they feel like an orange peel, look like an orange peel and they're the farthest from invisible. Maybe they work for protection, but they're awfully crafted.

They're everywhere. Some places only have ZAGG. It's like they're the most widely sold/accepted screen protector. I don't understand what the hype is.

whatdoiknw

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
never had a problem with them. and I've used them on several phones/ipods. just don't rush the application. helps to be in the bathroom after you've let it steamed up a little to get the dust out of the air. orange peel isn't too noticeable.

anyways, depending on who you ask you'll get different opinions. like i've tried BSE and hate the things because they get scuffed up way more than IS does but others here swear by them.

wrapsol has become my new flavor atm and so far liking it more than IS as far as texture.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
agree 100%
totally overrated!
It's all about the advertising.
complete garbage

Agreed. Who needs "orange peel" on their screen?

A friend of mine had a Zagg on her iPad. She does not read this forum, and knows very little about computers. Without me saying anything, she told me how awful Zagg was.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Screen protectors suck, period, IMO. I had an invisibleshield on an old phone, which wasn't terrible, since the phone had a plastic touch screen that was pressure sensitive. After getting my first iPod touch and having a glass touch screen, I can't deal with protectors. They look bad, are never as smooth or feel as good as just using the screen itself. One thing I have noticed is that it's actually pretty hard to scratch a glass touch screen. I had my first touch for a couple years, with a lot of use, and never once was there even a small scratch on the screen. The back was beat up and scratched up like crazy since I never had a case for it, but the screen was still flawless. My new touch is the same way (although I use a case for it)

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
I had one once on an iPhone. Had to get the iPhone replaced for a battery issue but never replaced the Zagg. I wasn't that impressed after using it for awhile.

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California
As someone that works for best buy mobile, it's really lame having to pretend that Zagg screen protectors are worth the investment.. I despise Zagg. I can't begin to count how many protectors I open are defective on arrival.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Just an opinion.

To each their own.:)

As for me, I have had Power Support on each of my 3 iPhones, 2 iPod Touches and 2 iPads...For me, aside from everything else, it is peace of mind. :)

On the iPad, however, while it may be difficult to scratch the screen, it is very easy to put a visible scratch in the oleophobic coating, and that would be distracting for many people, including me. OK...now you get to call me OCD. :D

As someone that works for best buy mobile, it's really lame having to pretend that Zagg screen protectors are worth the investment.. I despise Zagg. I can't begin to count how many protectors I open are defective on arrival.

You're right. That would be REALLY hard. On the one hand, you know what the product is like, and on the other hand, you are required to sell it. That would bug me too.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
The orange peel effect doesn't annoy me. Applying it sucks, so I don't do it. I pay either a Zagg store employee or Best Buy Mobile to do it. Afterwards, I'm satisfied. Though the material makes it harder to slide our finger on the screen, I find it worth it for the protection. I always get the maximum protection (from Amazon, because it's cheaper), so my device is completely protected. Later when I resell the device, I'm very glad I get to say "literally, in perfect condition."

Also, Zagg's customer service is the stuff. I received a recalled version of the iPad 2 shield from Amazon, I called Zagg and it took only a few minutes for things to be done. He said he was sorry, he immediately gave me a code that would pay for the shipping & tax for the replacement, and the new one is headed my way right now. He was really kind and did things in a snap. I took the (recalled) protector and tried "sawing" it with a jagged knife. It didn't do much damage! Then I took a pointy knife and tried seeing how much pressure I could put through the shield before the knife went through. I was pleased! It's not like you'd do things like day to day with your phone, but it is nice knowing you're getting the protection you're paying for.

Not protecting $400+ investments seems like a bad idea to me.

gigemzach

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
San Antonio, Texas

I always wanted to know what y'all thought. When I had it first applied on my iPhone 3G the installer was not really praising the product.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Not protecting $400+ investments seems like a bad idea to me.

Nobody here said they leave their iPhone/iPad unprotected. I've had Power Support Crystal Film on each of my iDevices, and my iPads are ALWAYS in a cover, and if not in the cover, they have a TPU case covering the back.

Zagg is not the only show in town, thank God. I'm glad it works for you, though.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
I love them. I have one on my mbp, ipad 2 and iphone 4.

I don't even notice them, they work GREAT my products are in perfect shape.

I also love the lifetime warranty I have gotten mine replaced multiple times for tiny problem I caused.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Where did anybody here say they leave their iPhone/iPad unprotected? I've had Power Support Crystal Film on each of my 3 iPhones, 2 iPod Touches, and 2 iPads, and my iPads are ALWAYS in a cover, and if not in the cover, they have a TPU case covering the back.

Zagg is not the only show in town, thank God. I'm glad it works for you, though.

Haha, that's funny, when my making that post I almost added something like "Even if you go with some other protection" I see I should've now! But yeah, thank goodness for choice!

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Zagg is popular because you can pick it up at a retail store and have it applied. However, there are better options.

Just yesterday my wife and I were having lunch with our niece and Zagg came up. I'm currently using Clear Protector and my wife's phone has PhantomSkinz. I was already aware of the difference, but I had my wife and niece try it out and they both could feel the difference and said how much tackier the Zagg is.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I used Zagg for years. I was ok with the tackiness on the back of my phones but didn't like the feel on the screens. I put up with it because I knew I could just throw my phone in my purse and not worry about the screen.

I recently bought my husband a referb iPad 1 for travel then decided to get him an iPad 2 so we could use FaceTime. Just outside the Apple store is a Ghost Armor kiosk. I had the back of his done and thought I would put a Power Support on the front but could not get it here in time for his trip.

Ok, so I gave the referb to my grandkids and decided to put the Ghost Armor on it front and back. Wow, I am quite impressed with the look and feel. No orange peel, slick as the glass itself and crystal clear. When my husband comes home on R & R in August I'm having ti put on the front of his too.

No more Zagg for me. If I feel I need that much protection, Ghost Armor wins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.