How can Apple control my home WiFi

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Cdaddy112, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Cdaddy112 macrumors member

does this concern anyone else? that apparently they have the ability to control my home wifi on my iOS device?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. Cdaddy112 thread starter macrumors member

well after an iOS 6 update when you turn wifi on it goes directly to an apple log in page and then disconnects your wifi- whether you like it or not

4. batmangorden macrumors member

batmangorden

I'm having the same problem too.

I just ran into a few problems with my wife's phone as well.

5. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

They know EVERYTHING about you. Where you sleep, what you eat, where you live, what you ate for dinner last night. Your wifi network, all your passwords, what you texted your girlfriend 2 hours ago. Everything. ;)

Actually the issue you are having has been fixed. It was something on Apple's servers.

6. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

This has been resolved by Apple.

It looks like iOS automatically does a check when connecting to wi-fi to see if portal credential input is necessary (like it would be at a hotel or other public place that routes you through a portal page). For some reason that service was down on Apple's end for a brief period of time, thus the redirection and error page.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I understand why it was done, but it wasn't well thought out. When the server goes down, like it did today, there needs to be a way to override it. Depending on an external server to access a local network is stupid (not to mention the privacy implications of secretly connecting to a server and potentially logging IP addresses etc).

8. teixido macrumors newbie

9. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

Agreed. Post-PC Era my ass.

10. Cdaddy112 thread starter macrumors member

so if apples page is down they shut down access to my wireless network??? How does that make sense? its my network

11. ender78 macrumors 6502

There has to be a better way !! One page unavailable takes hundreds of millions of devices off the Internet !!!

12. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

On the surface, yes. In reality, changing a single setting can bypass this, as was demonstrated and discussed in other threads.

This is the first and only time that the server/page has gone down on Apple's side that I am aware of. I doubt they're keen on letting it happen again.

13. cynics macrumors G4

It was an eye opener for me. Where I hope and assume its not happening god knows what kind of data has been transmitted to Apple servers.

It also seems really dumb to me that anything apple can do can make my phone not connect to my home wifi.

At least they fixed it quickly if nothing else.

14. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

15. Cdaddy112 thread starter macrumors member

ok, so if apples website is down I cant use my wifi? If any other webpage is down it doesnt shut off my wifi

----------

exactly, what are they logging?

16. jester0723 macrumors regular

It doesn't shut down your wifi. Because the page was down, the iPhone didn't think it could access the internet (this is used so that if you connect to a wifi hotspot that requires a login, such as that at a hotel, the login information will pop up before you leave the settings app).

Your wifi was fine, the iphone was just confused because the page was down.

17. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Right, this is Apple's way of checking to see if the WiFi network you are trying to connect to requires a web login or not. It should only do this once for each new WiFi network assuming you clicked remember network.

18. Cdaddy112 thread starter macrumors member

while my wifi was fine it did render the wifi on my iphone and ipad completely useless, so in a sense it did shut it down

19. jomirrivera macrumors 6502

20. Cdaddy112 thread starter macrumors member

well if you are going to make that comment then explain yourself, because for about an hour my home wifi was useless on an ios device because apples site wasnt functioning properly

21. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

22. Cdaddy112 thread starter macrumors member

I guess being upset that I have to contact an external server to use MY wifi makes this an ignorant post

23. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iOS has accessed that page or one like it since iOS 3. Starting with iOS 4, iOS wouldn't make the WiFi the primary network service on cellular enabled devices if that page couldn't be found and if the cellular data service still worked. Of course you could always jailbreak your device, put on a DNS cache/rerouter on it, and point that page back to a locally hosted website like I do.

24. jester0723 macrumors regular

Your wifi was fine. Your iphone and ipad were broken. Hope your half hour without wifi didn't induce panic.

25. jomirrivera macrumors 6502

Thats right, ON YOUR IOS DEVICE, so apple does not control your home wifi because any other device would work without any problems