How can apple use software to improve battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wardev, Oct 19, 2008.

1. wardev macrumors regular

2. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

There are many ways, but the most apparent one is governing how often the phone "pings" the network. The lower the number of pings equals lower transmitter use and therefore lower battery usage. Also software can throttle processor usage and lower battery usage. There are multiple ways for software to affect battery usage.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

From the limited programming I learned, the one thing I can point to is doing stuff simpler. Basically having whatever task done with fewer lines of code (and therefore using the processor less). I never did anything very complex, but that's one of the basic ways to do such a thing.

4. aluren macrumors 65816

maybe apple can let us choose the times that we want to use location service and fetch mail so that we can allow it to be on only from 8am-10pm, or turning off push email on weekends... i know that i do not want to receive work emails on weekends and probably won't use location service at 3am....

5. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

They can only do so much, such as debugging some of the options that remain turned on when they are not being used. One infamous example was the location service, which was draining battery when it's not being used. Another like one poster has already suggested, which is to improve Push services. However, I doubt there's much Apple can do in that arena, Blackberry owns Push.