How can I access a single VPN with two computers?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ieani, Sep 5, 2009.

1. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

I am on a school network in that requires you to log on from your dorm through a VPN but am often at my girlfriends dorm while doing work. Is there anyway I can access the internet through her VPN at the same time she is? Would a router work?

The VPN is specific to each dorm, so from what I can tell its impossible to log in to the VPN from anywhere but the dorm you were assigned.

Thanks!

2. joshwillmarth macrumors newbie

If you both have Macs it should be pretty easy. Turn on internet connection sharing on her computer and tell it to share her connection. If she connects via ethernet you can have that connection shared over wifi, enabling you to connect wirelessly. I've done this in dorms before and it works great.

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Be careful exposing your dorm's network over a wireless connection. Some university IT departments are pretty specific about NO STUDENT WIFI access points.

By turning on Internet sharing over WIFI, you are turning your Mac into a wireless access point, which may put you in hot water with the university...

4. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

ieani

Yeah I had considered this but then read it could interfere with the network, and being that im in a foreign country would rather not have to explain myself lol. Thanks for the help though. We will probably just trade cables or just use my macbook as the main computer since hers is a barebones PC that can barely handle Vista.