How can i access my Macintosh HD when in virtual machine running Win 7?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jokerfwb, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Jokerfwb macrumors member

I have my bootcamp of windows 7 set up to work through VM Fusion as a virtual machine. I have two issues i would like to figure out.

1) When i am in the virtual machine and i goto computer all i can see is the bootcamp partition and my dvd drive. I would like to be able to see the Macintosh HD so that i can access files through windows that are on my mac hd.

2) I can't seem to be able to copy files to my boot camp partition. When i look at it with get info in says read only how can i change this?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

3. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

@GGJstudios

What's your experience with those programs for reading and writing to NTFS/HFS+, if you have you used any programs at all?

4. wpotere Guest

For Windows I use MacDrive and for Mac I use Paragon. I have been using them for 3+ years now with no problems. They work fine.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've used all but Tuxera. Why?

6. Jokerfwb thread starter macrumors member

sorry I should have mentioned that i'm new to mac so i don't exactly know what your talking about there. Also how do i know if i'm in 64 bit mode or 32?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What version of Mac OS X are you running? Click  > About This Mac and see what version it shows.

8. Jokerfwb thread starter macrumors member

9. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If you're using Fusion to access your Boot Camp partition, all you need to do is add a shared folder on your Mac's Hard drive. This can be done in the settings for your VM.

Virtual Machine->Settings->Sharing

10. Jokerfwb thread starter macrumors member

ya i saw that and did it but couldn't find it through my VM. Where do i look.

11. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Also note, that you can just drag files from one desktop to another. I don't normally map my Mac hard drive because I don't need tons of things and I don't move too many files. Thus the drop and drag method works the best for me.