Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jokerfwb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
I have my bootcamp of windows 7 set up to work through VM Fusion as a virtual machine. I have two issues i would like to figure out.

1) When i am in the virtual machine and i goto computer all i can see is the bootcamp partition and my dvd drive. I would like to be able to see the Macintosh HD so that i can access files through windows that are on my mac hd.

2) I can't seem to be able to copy files to my boot camp partition. When i look at it with get info in says read only how can i change this?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
    • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
    • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
@GGJstudios

What's your experience with those programs for reading and writing to NTFS/HFS+, if you have you used any programs at all?

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
@GGJstudios

What's your experience with those programs for reading and writing to NTFS/HFS+, if you have you used any programs at all?

For Windows I use MacDrive and for Mac I use Paragon. I have been using them for 3+ years now with no problems. They work fine.

Jokerfwb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
sorry I should have mentioned that i'm new to mac so i don't exactly know what your talking about there. Also how do i know if i'm in 64 bit mode or 32?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
sorry I should have mentioned that i'm new to mac so i don't exactly know what your talking about there. Also how do i know if i'm in 64 bit mode or 32?
What version of Mac OS X are you running? Click  > About This Mac and see what version it shows.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
If you're using Fusion to access your Boot Camp partition, all you need to do is add a shared folder on your Mac's Hard drive. This can be done in the settings for your VM.

Virtual Machine->Settings->Sharing

Jokerfwb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
ya i saw that and did it but couldn't find it through my VM. Where do i look.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Also note, that you can just drag files from one desktop to another. I don't normally map my Mac hard drive because I don't need tons of things and I don't move too many files. Thus the drop and drag method works the best for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.