How can I add an email to an iCal event?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by orbdrums, Jun 22, 2009.

1. orbdrums macrumors member

I am trying to add an email to an iCal event so that I can pull up the email from an appointment and I am having no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Clark

2. calsci macrumors 6502

calsci

if you are accessing the appointment from an iphone or ipod touch iphone 3.0 has an auto link feature i believe. you could add the email address in the note section. or you could add the physical email for for word as a note for the appointment. not sure if you meant full e-mail or some ones e-mail address. when the appointment rolls around click on the address or email. hope that will work.

3. orbdrums thread starter macrumors member

Actually I created an iCal event and I received an email that pertains to the event. I just want to link to the email from the iCal event so I can open the email from the iCal event. Maybe it's something that can't be done but it's a rather common function in Microsoft Outlook. I'm new to the Mac so I'm trying not to sound stupid. :)

4. calsci macrumors 6502

calsci

I never actually used the function in outlook. It seems like it would be a good idea to have. Are you using ical on a mac or the iphone? When I am on my mac and I need an e-mail i just open mail and get it (I never turn off mail or safari). I end up putting a reminder to look at the e-mail in the note with the subject line in bold so i can remember to look at it. Then I go to mail open it up and type in the subject line bam there is my email.

short one now that feature would be really nice to have on my iphone.

5. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

Does iCal support data detectors? Type the email address in the "Notes" (or is it "Comments"?) field. Close the event, then re-open it and see if you can click the email address.

I have no idea if this works, but I would think so.

6. orbdrums thread starter macrumors member

Okay all, here we go. I got this to work by opening an iCal event and clicking on edit. I then dragged an email to the URL input and let it go. The URL now displays "Show in Mail" and when I click on that, it brings up the email. Now I need to find out how to delete the link to the email in the iCal event. I might have to delete the entire event but at least I found out how to make this feature work. I hope this helps.

Clark

7. woondig macrumors newbie

I've been wanting to do this same thing. I tried what you said orbdrums, and it shows like it's a link when I drop it in the url field, but it does nothing if I try and click it. Plus when I close it and reopen the iCal event, it is no longer in the url.

Figured out anything else?

Thanks.

8. ignazio.viola macrumors newbie

Thank you

Just to say thank you guys for posting this, I was really waiting for that! Cheers.