Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itai

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2011
NYC
I have the new 13" macbook air with only 128Gb of storage. I was wondering whether I could just buy another chip of 128Gb and install it by myself, or do I need to take it to a lab to have it done?

Thanks.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
There's only one spot for an SSD, so you'd have to replace your 128GB with something higher if you want more storage (like a 256GB)

But yes, you can do it yourself

PraisiX-windows

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
Like it's been stated, OWC offers SSD's with higher storage capacity and speed.
You can do it yourself too, but I think it might void your warranty, but in case you're not that easily scared, have a whack at it.

I read some posts about someone who had added an SSD from OWC and who had really benefitted from this, and at the same time used the SSD that came with the MBA as an external harddrive.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
Like it's been stated, OWC offers SSD's with higher storage capacity and speed.
You can do it yourself too, but I think it might void your warranty, but in case you're not that easily scared, have a whack at it.

I read some posts about someone who had added an SSD from OWC and who had really benefitted from this, and at the same time used the SSD that came with the MBA as an external harddrive.

Will NOT void your warranty, you are replacing a hard drive which happens to be an SSD.
I do NOT believe there is an external case that accepts the Apple SSD stick, so
I don't know how you'd use it as an external drive.

PraisiX-windows

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
Will NOT void your warranty, you are replacing a hard drive which happens to be an SSD.

Do they allow people to open up their cases?
- I didn't know that, I guess we all learn something new every day.

With my own Acer, if you open it, you void your warranty, and looking at how Apple seems to run its show I just assumed that it would most definately void ones warranty - Thanks for clarifying.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
I think the warranty issue would really come down to which Apple employee you were talking to. Anyway, the OWC SSDs are great, loving my 240GB version so far.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
Do they allow people to open up their cases?
- I didn't know that, I guess we all learn something new every day.

With my own Acer, if you open it, you void your warranty, and looking at how Apple seems to run its show I just assumed that it would most definately void ones warranty - Thanks for clarifying.

See the video at OWC on how to do it, simple!
I bought 2 refurb 11" 1.4/4/64 MBA's, removed the 64 SSD and installed a OWC 360 SSD in each, couldn't be happier, my Third refurb MBA arrives tomorrow, I will be doing the same upgrade to it for my Son. Both my "kids" are teachers and love the 11" portability, but needed more storage.What are :apple: Dads for?
NO, I don't want to adopt anyone,;-)

rebby

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
MN
I think the warranty issue would really come down to which Apple employee you were talking to. Anyway, the OWC SSDs are great, loving my 240GB version so far.

I've never had an issue w/Apple due to my upgrading drives and RAM. I even had one 13" MB that had so many problems Apple eventually replaced it with a new one. They even gave me credit for the HDD and RAM upgrade that I'd performed (aftermarket) when determining a trade value for my old machine.

If you're still worried about a warranty issue, it's pretty easy to swap the factory drive back in when/if you ever need service. It's not an issue as far as I'm concerned.

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007

Perhaps he was referring to this. [engadget]

Though I think I remember that product getting pulled at Apple's request.. [edit: yep]

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Seeing as how Apple didn't seem to mind my replacing the HDD in my older Air with an SSD, which is much more involved than in the newer ones, I'm sure that they won't mind in yours. I just had the screen replaced, and they didn't make a peep about it.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008

I don't believe this true. The MBP uses normal screws and documents in the user manual how to upgrade a hard drive. The MBA uses tamper proof screws and has no documentation on how to upgrade the SSD.

It will probably come down to the who looks at a failed MBA and makes the call, but technically I'm very certain the opening the MBA voids the warranty. The tamper proof screws are there for a reason. Apple doesn't consider the MBA to be user upgradable at all.

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
I bought 2 refurb 11" 1.4/4/64 MBA's, removed the 64 SSD and installed a OWC 360 SSD in each, couldn't be happier, my Third refurb MBA arrives tomorrow, I will be doing the same upgrade to it for my Son. Both my "kids" are teachers and love the 11" portability, but needed more storage.What are :apple: Dads for?

Good stuff. Pricey storage though.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I don't believe this true. The MBP uses normal screws and documents in the user manual how to upgrade a hard drive. The MBA uses tamper proof screws and has no documentation on how to upgrade the SSD.

It will probably come down to the who looks at a failed MBA and makes the call, but technically I'm very certain the opening the MBA voids the warranty. The tamper proof screws are there for a reason. Apple doesn't consider the MBA to be user upgradable at all.

Just because Apple didn't make the SSD easily upgradeable does not mean that upgrading it voids warranty:

b. Limitations. The Plan does not cover:

(ii) Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty
installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service
Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or
humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical
power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes;

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/NA_APP_English_v5.3.pdf

Unless you damage something, the warranty is not voided.

PraisiX-windows

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
Unless you damage something, the warranty is not voided.

That's good to know, I guess Apple aren't as uptight about it as Acer.
Their laptops, at least mine, is full of stickers, and over the bays one would want to open to pop in new hardware, one would first have to break that plastic sticker thing, and if that has been done, one is on their own.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
That's good to know, I guess Apple aren't as uptight about it as Acer.
Their laptops, at least mine, is full of stickers, and over the bays one would want to open to pop in new hardware, one would first have to break that plastic sticker thing, and if that has been done, one is on their own.

Obviously, if there is a "warranty voided if removed" sticker, then it voids warranty, even in Macs. However, I have only seen them in CPUs in iMacs. MBA shouldn't have any from what I have seen.

Of course, it is still recommend to put back the original parts if you ever have to send it to Apple. Some reps may not be as nice as others so it's best to play safe (we had a thread about this which pretty much proved that from a legal standpoint, you can upgrade nearly everything in Macs as long as nothing is damaged).

Smoothness

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2011
Nj

Please adopt me as you black son.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
If you're after plain 'ol storage, why not buy a 64GB SD card? It'll be fast enough for documents/music/etc storage, and a lot cheaper than an after-market SSD upgrade.

Hell, you could even get two.

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
Magnuson Moss Warranty Act

Perhaps taking a look at this will make you feel better about warranty issues. Basically, unless you cause damage, to a product it's illegal for the manufacturer to void a warranty because of repair or replacement of parts, even third party parts if the product was legitimately sold in the USA.

A lot of manufacturers would have you believe different, and indeed it might not be worth the hassle to fight as an individual at times, but such manufacturers deserve class action suits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.