How can I adjust Contrast/Brightness of Handbrake-imported video?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Kardashian, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I've been spending the past few days ripping my DVDs to my Mac, using MacTheRipper to import the disc image, and then using Handbrake to convert that to MPEG4 video, for iTunes.

Now, the problems I'm experiencing are:

1. Some videos are very dark - much darker than the original DVD, or the disc image played through VLC
    2. Some appear 'washed out'

After some searching, I've been told this is due to some Colour Atom being left out of Handbrake (?).

Anyway, a few people suggested installing Perian would help - hasn't made a difference.

Now, one work around I did was:

1. Rip the DVD with MacTheRipper
    2. Convert with Handbrake
    3. Open in Quicktime Pro, adjust the colour settings accordingly
    4. Save as a .mov on the desktop (This is more a less instant, maybe a 1-minute wait time, as oppose to saving in iTV/iTunes '.m4v' format, which had around a 7 (SEVEN) hour conversion time)

However, by saving the movie as a .mov, when I was using MetaX to tag it - the actor, director tags and so forth were not sticking. What it has to do with being a .mov file I don't know.

So, I put it to you video experts out there, what program (besides Quicktime) will let me adjust brightness/contrast of a video file, and still save it with the .m4v extension, which for some reason, is vital for tagging and not take hours to do it.

2. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I've found quite a lot of shareware apps to do this, but no free ones.

In that case, does anyone have a way of making Quicktime exporting the video's faster?