How can I assign additional VHD to a virtual machine in VPC 7?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sketchygio, Aug 8, 2010.

1. sketchygio macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I've got a PPC G5 so I can't resort to parallels or bootcamp. VPC 7 seemed like a good enough option until it ran out of space at a measly 15GB. I've tried reinstalling the OS to see if I can increase the amount of memory of the dynamic disk, but there seems to be no such option in the setup wizard. After some scavenging on the internet, I found out that there is a 'Disk 2' and 'Disk 3' in the VPC settings that can be somehow used to assign additional VHD to my windows xp virtual machine. However I can't find any sources that explain how to do so. Can someone out there explain?

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I have not used VirtualPC in ages, but I would expect it to be in the virtual machine settings. IIRC, you will first have to create a new harddrive image using one of its tools, then select it to use in the settings. (You may also have to format it in Windows before being able to use it.)

3. sketchygio thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I did as you say (made a new XP Virtual machine on Disk 2) but I still don't understand the process of actually linking the two to increase the amount of space. Can you elaborate?

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Not really. It's maybe half a decade since I used VPC last.

Adding additional harddrive images to the virtual machine means that they will show up as a new harddrive inside windows. Look in the help file, I'm pretty sure the information there is more reliable than my memory.