How can I automount a network share in Finder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by techmonkey, Mar 21, 2009.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

Currently I have to browse my network computer under "SHARED" and manually drag/drop the shared folder into Finder under "DEVICES".

Is there a way to do this automatically?

See the images below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

One way is to add the network share item to your list of login items. You could also write a Automator or AppleScript that connects to the share drive(s) and save it as an app that can be double-clicked whenever you need it.

3. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, I have an applescript that mounts shares but it only displays the share on my desktop, not in Finder. The only way I can get it to show up in Finder is to manually drag/drop the icon onto the Finder sidebar.

Theres gotta be a better way :)

4. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

It's in the Finder preferences. You can set it to display disk drives (I forget the exact wording).

Just open the Finder, go into Preferences and it'll be under Sidebar.

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah finder has a 4 icon menu at the top.

finder -> preferences -> sidebar

then you can check what you want to come up!

let us know if this helps

6. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

i dont see anything about network share folders in the preferences. There is "Connected Shares" but that only list the actual computer/machine.

[​IMG]

7. ddoonie macrumors regular

Sorry that i'm of no real help, but i have the same issue. If i dont open the share from the finder, it wont show the 'mount, in finder. I've tried many ways, but no luck...

8. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

It seems so trivial. At least Leopard keeps the shares that I manually mounted when I put my laptop to sleep. In Tiger they would disconnect. Hopefully in Snow Leopard they fix this...

9. ddoonie macrumors regular

what does your applescript do when you are not on your network, when trying to auto connect? Does it just try to make a couple attempts, and then disable itself?

I currently have the mount point in my dock, so when i want to connect i just click it.

10. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Could you share that script, or give a pointer on how to get it configured? I have several network shares that don't even show up on the desktop after a reboot until I go out and browse them, then they will show up on the desktop.

For example, I have a localserver/music share that all of my iTunes music sits on. After a fresh start of the machine none of the iTunes tracks will play until I go out and re-browse the music share manually from the Finder.

It's pretty annoying, especially coming from the Windows world that had a simple "reconnect to this network share" option when the drive was mapped, making it automagically show up after a reboot.

11. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a