How can I avoid spam

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by VelvetElegance, Aug 4, 2009.

1. VelvetElegance macrumors regular

I'm using Mail. Up til now, I've had no problems. Recently my paypal acct was accessed by a third-party overseas. Since then I am getting nearly 200 e mails a week that are marked undeliverable. The e mails are almost always addressed to weird overseas addresses but are probably bogus anyway. I don't know how this happened or how to fix it. I can't even check my e mail on my iPhone because I'll be deleting mail from Mail Delivery System for ever. Is there ANYTHING I can do?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

I have set up enough rules to route all the mail marked with "delivery status notification" in the subject, but is there any way to prevent or fix this altogether. Seems like the Mail rules is a temporary fix..

4. KítscheñÇinqµe macrumors regular

seems like a paypal problem? get new account?
    new email "cryptically named", so spammers can't easily generate the address.

5. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

I'm hoping someone can update this thread. I just checked my e mail I have 675 messages of which 24 were actual messages for me..This situation is getting worse.. Is there anything I can do? I've already changed all my passwords. How can I prevent these messages from even being downloaded?

6. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Did thegoldenmackid's suggestion do any work?

7. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

I just downloaded a free trial. Hope it works..

8. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Are all the spam messages saying that they were not delivered? If so it's not spam. Someone high jacked your computer to send spam out from it...

9. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

This is exactly what's been happening!! I've installed the spam filter, but what do I do now?

10. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Is this on the Mac or a Windows side of the computer that you have a problem?
    Well first it seems that you DLed something you shouldn't. It got on your computer. If you have a backup before this started you are okay but backing up now is no good as you will be backing up all the stuff you don't want. What I would do is close that email address that is giving you problems. Tell your ISP what has happened so they close the account. They might take your access away until you reformat your drive and reinstall the OS. Not a bad idea anyway. Sorry for the bad news but stay away for those sites you shouldn't be at anyway...

11. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not using a Windows machine and I don't think I went to any unsafe site. I don't do a lot of downloading in anycase. And i haven't downloaded anything since this started happening. Are you suggesting the only way to solve this problem is by closing the e mail account?

12. Buzz Bumble Guest

Unlikely. It's more likely they are simply using the email address as the return address for the messages they are sending out. There's no way to stop that - the only thing you can do is shutdown that email address and get a new one. :(

13. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

That's what I am saying... :(

14. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Utter rubbish, no they didn't. (well, probably not anyway :). I've had this, its pretty common, its genuine bounce messages being returned to you when the spammer has used your email address in the 'from' field of the spam messages.

Just set up a pattern to autodelete them. In some ISP's you can delete at the ISP so you dont have to download them onto your computer to do the same. I must have about 20 rules at my ISP deleting cr*p like that.

15. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

This is what I'm currently doing. I have rules set up in Mail that routes all those messages directly to the trash, but really, it's not a long term fix because I still have to download several hundred messages in the meantime. I want a way that I can prevent them from being downloaded at all. Is this something I would need to get with my ISP about?

16. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Yes it is. Does your ISP have a control panel interface where you can manage your email from? You may find the ability to set up filters in that. usually people will set something like a 'SPAM" word added to the header so your email can deal with it, but for obvious stuff you can just delete it at the ISP, so you never even have to download it. It does mean you will lose genuine bounce messages though unless you can make the filter very specific, which may not be possible.

If its any consolation, IME these things come in 'storms' and after a few weeks it should die down, if not you may have to 'retire' your email address.