Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HandyMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
I have an app on my iPad Air that I use every day; it's an old version, newer versions have lost some features I use, so I don't update it. I'd like to get a copy of it so I won't lose it. Used to be app.ipa files were included in iOS backups on my Mac, but now the backups have only the apps' data; if a restore is necessary, the app must be downloaded fresh. (Or if it's no longer in the App Store, I guess the user is out of luck.)

I bought the iMazing utility, as its website says "Keep old apps in case they disappear from the App Store. Hang on to a specific version." Only I just tried to do this with the app I want to keep, but couldn't figure out how. I wrote to the developer, and they told me No, iMazing can't do it if iTunes doesn't do it. Not sure what use it is, then. Though it looks like maybe if I could get the .ipa file, I could use iMazing to reinstall it on the iPad.

I guess what I need is access somehow to the actual file system on the iPad. Does anybody know a way to do that? Is it necessary to jailbreak the device? Never done that, though I guess I could learn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.