How can I back up my copy of Leopard?

ozziegn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
first of all, this isn't what some people might be thinking. I do have my (legal) copy of Leopard, but I always like to make copies of all of my important CDs and DVDs just in case.

so this time I would like to be able to convert my Leopard DVD in to a DMG file on my external HDD so I can use it again if/when I need to reformat. someone told me that Toast would do it, but I don't know if it will. if it does, would someone please tell me how hard it is to do?

now, if Toast doesn't do it what would?

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I'm not sure if it's still the case, but Toast used to have issues with creating bootable disks from a DMG.

you can duplicate it easily using Disk Utility. This is from Macworld:

The simple way to create a bootable duplicate is to use Disk Utility to make a disk image and then burn a new disc. (One caveat: Keep in mind that you can’t create a bootable copy of a dual-layer Mac OS X Install DVD if your DVD drive can only record to single-layer DVDs.)

First, launch Disk Utility and mount the CD or DVD. Select the disc from Disk Utility’s left column. Then select File: New: Disk Image From name of disc. A Save dialog box appears. From the Image Format pop-up menu, select DVD/CD Master. Click on Save. After Disk Utility has created the image file, select Images: Burn. In the dialog box that appears, select the image file and click on Burn. Insert a blank disc when prompted.
This also gives you a DMG copy of the disk on your drive, so you can leave it on an external drive as an extra back up ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.